Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I cant figure out how to work this program .. new here . we

I cant figure out how to work this program .. new here . we want to connect with a vet with much experience with yellow labs and calcification . jasper is 12 and has bone spurs on his wrists and licking lots and we apply ice . we have tried ichon but had bad diarrhea we think from that . we have tried tramadol and he does not seem to respond to that. thank you . we have signed up for monthly program for asking a vet . thanks Bernie. what treatments or procedures do you recommend for spurs and also according to xrays he has spinal calcification too , thanks Bernie
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. In my experience, the best treatment for this is an anti-inflammatory medication such as Previcox, Rimadyl, Metacam, or Deramaxx (whichever your vet prefers) in combination with Tramadol. Tramadol alone is seldom enough to control the pain and lameness, but works well in conjunction with an anti-inflammatory medication. The tramadol dose can be increased, too... I have some labs with severe arthritis and calcification that are on 3 tablets every 8 hours, and some even higher. There isn't anything you can do to reverse these bony changes, so we just have to work to manage the pain. Without medications, I highly recommend a therapeutic laser treatment protocol. Your vet can tell you (if your vet doesn't have a laser) where to find a clinic with a laser in your area, and typically the protocol is to do 6 laser treatments in a 2 weeks period, and then do a maintenance treatment once every 3-4 weeks. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Hi Bernie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasper. How is everything going?

Ann M.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you , we are on the road in our travel trailer with jasper and have had a diarrhea week , so managed to see a vet along the way in Canada , stool samples taken and tested .. and got meds.. metronidazole 250 = 2 tabs 2 times a day for 10 days.. however I now read this is not good for geriatric dogs ?? jasper is 12 in a month . would you say it is safe ? no raging side effects but seems a bit lethargic .

also on on amoxil 400 mg .. 1 1/2 tabs twice a day for ten days. seems ok with that .

also on temp special royal canine diet kibble from vet for digestion and intestinal health . he is not fond of it and we mix it with beef broth , so ok ..

we would like to start him bak on his sardines twice daily and his sasha's blend ( perna mussel re cartilage ) and his kelp re thyroid. wondering how long to wait now. he started diet and meds on Saturday .

he was also on ichon ..from a holistic vet back home, and stopped that too , and want to restart those injections I was giving him . it is similar action to adequan .

interested in your thoughts Dr. Ann. thank you , Bernie and jasper.

Okay. The metronidazole is fine, and I would not have any concerns about that for him. I agree with the treatment plan for the diarrhea. I would wait until the stools are completely normal, and then you can gradually switch back to the usual diet over a few days time. You want to mix the regular diet in with the current diet a little bit each day. You should be able to start the ichon injections again anytime now. I hope that answers your questions, and have a great trip!