Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Hi, My dog (greyhound mix) has a fast growing malignant spindle-cell

Hi, My dog (greyhound mix) has...
My dog (greyhound mix) has a fast growing malignant spindle-cell sarcoma on the side of her face. It has been removed twice but grows back within 3 months. At the moment it is the size of half a boiled egg. I have got her on Synoquin (glocosamine supplement with krill oil) as I thought this might help. Also she is taking a number of other supplements which I put in her raw meat and chicken necks. Supplements includes the Budwig regime (cottage cheese & Flax seed oil 2:1), Green tea extract, turmeric powder, spirulina powder, wheat grass powder, Lymphodran (rutin and herpiridin), maqui berry powder, lecitin, more fish oil, cod liver oil, bromeline, pancreatic enzyme. I give 3 meals a day as there is so much to put in them and I try to spread them out. However, the tumour is still growing visably daily. Is there anything you could suggest or fine tune this down a bit. i live in NZ and would very much appreciate some help. Thank you very much, Zoe
8/31/2013
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like in person, I have a few questions...

Did they mention if it was a spindle cell sarcoma?

Did they mention doing blood work to see if it had spread or if surgery was an option?

Yes they said it was a spindle cell sarcoma and no, it has not spread according to blood tests and scans.

Thanks for the additional information...when I re-read your initial post I saw that you had mentioned it was a sarcoma. I apologize...I must have missed it the first time...

First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear that your dog, was diagnosed with this kind of sarcoma. This is, unfortunately, one of the most aggressive forms of cancer and the one with the poorest prognosis.

As a general rule of thumb, sarcoma can spread rather quickly. At our clinic, we tell clients that a dog with a confirmed case of sarcoma has, if left untreated, a life expectancy of about 12-26 months from the time of diagnosis. Of course, we can TRY to extend that with chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, however in an older dog that time would be drastically reduced.

Because this is such a common neoplasia, there is a ton of information out there to help you understand what is going on:

http://www.azvs.com/handouts/onco/7.pdf

http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/canine-soft-tissue-sarcomas

http://www.integrativeveterinaryoncology.com

/PDF/K9_Soft_Tissue_Sarcomas_2011.pdf

http://www.wearethecure.org/soft-tissue-sarcomas

That being said, just like humans, every dog is different and of course, if you're not sure how to procced, then it might be a good idea to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary oncologist. I think if this were my dog, I'd ask for the referal. They'll run even further testing to ensure that this is, in fact, sarcoma. Once you get a second confirmed diagnosis, you can figure out how to treat this and which course of action is best for your dog.

Sadly, just like in humans, there aren't any holistic 'cures'. However, some people swear by the canine cancer diet. You can read more about it here:

http://www.fightcaninecancer.com/cancerdiet1.html

You're already doing a great job of supplementing your dogs nutritional and health needs. Hopefully using the cancer diet as well will give you more time with your companion.

I hope this helps.

Can you suggest anything more that I can do. I was hoping to receive information I didn't know about. Thanks. Zoe

The only thing you could do that you haven't tried is surgical excision of the mass. You could also try asking your vet if they think that radiation or chemotherapy would be an option. I got the feeling that you were looking for holistic options, but if you're open to more western medicine options, then chemo/radiation after surgical excision may give you the best outcome.

Yes I am looking for holistic options. You might be able to help me on this question: is Evening primrose oil (Omega 6) OK for Snow? Henry Osziki says use it, in his book on cancer, but the dog cancer website says avoid it. Thanks.

According to my veterinary toxicology book, Evening primrose is NOT listed as toxic, so yes, I think it's fine to use it.

I've seen dosing listed as 500 mg per 20 pounds, but of course, before starting anything new, make sure to just run it by your vet....to be safe.
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hi Zoe,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snow. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech