Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Hi, My 9 month old Dalmatian, rotti, chihuahua, spaniel,

Hi, My 9 month old...
My 9 month old Dalmatian, rotti, chihuahua, spaniel, terrier mix dog woke up this morning trying to vomit, but nothing came up. She has done this approx 7 times today and of those times a brownish liquid has come up only twice. She is normally very playful, but has been sleeping for the better part of the day (12:24pm now and we woke up at about 7ish this morning). She has not eaten much, but she normally doesn't eat much as she is a grazer. I got scared she might have bloat but when I looked up the symptoms, other then the trying to throw up and nothing coming out she is not exhibiting any other signs. I am worried because she NEVER gets sick, so seeing her not feeling well concerns me. I normally would rush her to the vet, but we have recently moved and had to take out Greyhound to the vet a few times since getting here and for whatever reason the vets in our new area are exponentially more expensive here then they were in our previous town, so for cost reasons I don't want to take her if she is just under the weather (but of course I will if the issue is such that the vet on this site thinks it is in my pup's best interest). Please help. Thank you!
8/28/2013
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you and that this is an informational/advice site only.

Sally G. :

Does the dog eat any non food items like bones rawhides, toys, human food or garbage?

Sally G. :

I think Chat may be on the blink. I am going to change to normal question and answer and at that time if you could answer the question above it would be helpful .

we can continue this way. please answer the question above so I may gather more information.

also is he up to date on all shots and worming?

The only toys she gets are like Kongs and Nylabones for tough chewers, and she does not break those. She does not get raw hide, human food, or garbage. She does pick up twigs and or small sticks on walks but she never eats the entire thing. It is more like she just chews them up. She has been doing that since she was just weeks old and I have told her vet who has said as long as she doesn't eat rocks or anything like that they were not concerned and it is a phase she will grow out of.

Yes she is up to date on all her shots and as a small puppy was dewormed but since then she has not been wormed because she doesn't have any

Thank you for that information. Any non food item such as a twig or stick would have the possibility of causing an obstruction which would cause vomiting. You would also see a sudden lack of appetite, a change in stool or stool habits and lethargy.

If you are sure the dog has not eaten any non food items there are a couple of things to look at to see how serious it may be. Check the gums and make sure they are not pale or white (if they are normally black then pull down the eyelid and look there, it should be bubblegum pink) Check for refill time, push a finger on the gums, the area will blance (turn a different color) and see how long it takes for them to turn back to the color they were before doing this. IF it takes less than one second or more than 2 seconds you have a sick dog and should seek vet care. Take the temperature rectally, any thermometer will do. normal is between 100.5 and 102.5 something. Anything nearing 103 and above should be seen.

What you can try as this may be a virus dogs do get this from time to time, is to withhold food for 24 hours (can have water) then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. Give a couple of tablespoons to start then wait four hours and if the dog holds that down give a couple more tablespoons and wait again. keep the bland diet going for a couple of days and then start to mix the normal food in with it.

Generally when a dog has a virus the intestines become inflamed so the fasting (no food) and the bland diet help the intestines to go back to normal.

If the dog refuses the bland diet or cannot hold it down then have her seen as something is wrong
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello Natalie,
I am just checking in to see how your pup is doing. This is a free follow up so I will leave it up to you if you wish to respond. I do hope he is feeling better.

Sally
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant