Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My yorkie - 8 lbs. ate 25 mg. benedryl. I gave her hydrogen

My yorkie - 8 lbs. ate 25 mg. benedryl. I gave her hydrogen peroxide - 4 oz. twice and she hasn't thrown up. What should I do? Will the benedryl hurt her? If she doesn't throw up the hydrogen peroxide, will that hurt her? It's been about an hour now.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me five minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I also walked my dog around after giving her the hydrogen peroxide. She seems fine. But she hasn't vomited. I frequently give her 1/2 benedryl for allergies, and she does fine. She got the whole benedryl I dropped tonight, though.

Hello again Kathy and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. If you have given hydrogen peroxide twice then it is not recommended to do so further, she may still vomit though.

2. Even if she does not vomit then the chances are that Roxy should be fine as Benadryl is a drug with a high margin of safety in the dog. The dose rate Benadryl in the dog is between 1 - 2 mg per pound of your dog's body weight every 12 hours so 25mg is a slight overdose of course, but that should cause some sedation and little else. Roxy should be fine after a few hours but will sleep very soundly.

3. Of course you should keep a good eye on her and contact your vet if you become further concerned but this would be unlikely.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So the hydrogen peroxide won't hurt her if she doesn't throw it up??

Hello again Kathy,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

At this dose rate all you should see is some degree of mild sedation and then she should return to normal. But the 25 mg is higher than the dose rate we normally use so keep a good eye on her.

Regards,

Scott
Hi Kathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxy. How is everything going?

Scott Nimmo