Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have two mid sized (55 lbs) dogs, ages 10 and 12. I want

to start to feed them...
I have two mid sized (55 lbs) dogs, ages 10 and 12. I want to start to feed them fresh meat. Wondering how many gram of protein they should have each day. Other than meat, what else and how much should I feed them.
8/26/2013
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi cheri,

.

My name is Jane. I have worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .

.

I have fed my dogs a bones and raw food diet It consists of various raw meats and vegetables and even fruit to help balance the diet. My dogs are between 90-130 pounds at the time and each dog ate about 2 pounds of meat each day. The problem with feeding homemade diets is that it is difficult to get everything your dog needs into the food every day. For the most part, you vary the meat source and the vegetables and other ingredients throughout the week and by the end of the week, it is a more balanced diet. Dogs do tend to need less food because it doesn't contain fillers. In addition, with no fillers, the body uses up most of what it is eating and the feces are smaller as well.

.

You can also read up on the BARF diet, which is feeding bones and raw foods.

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

Be advised that feeding a raw diet does have risks associated with it as well as you can read here:

http://trends.aahanet.org/NEWStatArticle.aspx?id=NSV10I31&key=a99cef7b-5fd2-48ca-934b-f2d76dd8aa56#.UCQXvdZczkI.facebook

.

This site has a great homemade recipe for healthy adult dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/homemade-diet-recipe-for-healthy-adult-dogs/page1.aspx?utm_source=dogcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

.

Many owners also go ahead and give a multivitamin to their dogs weekly to ensure no trace elements or vitamins are missing from the diet. You might find this helpful.

http://www.2ndchance.info/homemadediets.htm

.

And these address the nutritional aspects.

http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/vth/sa/clin/cp_handouts/Nutrition_Adult_Dog.pdf

http://dels.nas.edu/resources/static-assets/materials-based-on-reports/booklets/dog_nutrition_final.pdf

.

In addition, there are quite a few commercially prepared raw diets on the market now. I no longer feed raw totally but a combination of the BARF diet along with a high quality commercially prepared food.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

I am thinking about cooked meat, plus some brown rice and veggie. I just don't have any idea how much they'll need. One of the website you gave indicate the following

Daily food formulation for an 18-kg dog

IngredientsGramsPercent
Carbohydrate, coocked*24058
Meat cooked12029
Fat*102
Fiber+307
Bone Meal++4.0
Potassium Chloride++1.0

But that's for a 18 kg adult dog, smaller but younger. Can you recommend a ratio I can use with this formular to suit my 10 and 12 old 55 lb (I'd say about 25Kg) dogs?

Cheri,
.
Since it is a percentage, you would need about 333 grams of carbohydrates but those are not as important as the protein and fat. The meat would increase to 166 grams, the fat to 13 grams and the fiber to 41 grams. Now older dogs don't process protein as well, so you may increase the protein a little. I would also think about joint supplements like glucosamine as well.