Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

HI MY NAMEIS JOHN DEGUIDE MY DOBERMANS NAME ISXXXXX

HI MY NAMEIS JOHN DEGUIDE MY DOBERMANS NAME ISXXXXX GAVE ME AN ANSWER AND SHE WAS RIGHT IT WAS A HERNIA . THEY DID SURGERY ON HIM ON THURSDAY AUGUST 15 THEY FOUND A MASS AND TOOK SECTIONS TO BIOPSY THEM ,MY PROBLEM IS HE HAS NT EATEN SINCE WEDS. AUGUST 14 ALTHOUGH HE IS DRINKING WATER AND URINATING JUST FINE HE HAS NT EATEN A BITE PLEASE HELP THANKYOU JOHN AND CHARLEY.

Hello John:

What have you tried to feed Charley?

Is he on any pain medications?

Is he vomiting at all?

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WE HAVETRIED ALL HIS FAVORITE FOODS HE ATE GRASS AND VOMITED HE WAS ON HYDROMORPHONE 2 MG TABS 1 AND HALF EVERY EIGHT HOURS, HOW EVER HE WAS VERY DISORIENTED SO WE DISCOUNTINUED THE MEDICATION ON SATURDAY HE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE IN ANY PAIN.HE IS NOW ALERT BUT STILL WILL NOT EAT .THANKYOU JOHN DEGUIDE

Hi John:

Poor Charley. I would suggest you try offering him some chicken or beef baby food. Be sure to check the label to be sure it does not contain garlic or onion...very important. This is very bland as compared to his favorite foods which may be too much for his tummy, even smelling them causing him to not want to eat. You might consider putting some in a kong toy for him to lick out if he enjoys chewing. You can also try spoon feeding him some, just to get him kick started. Hopefully that will boost his appetite. Then I would switch to a boiled chicken and rice meal a couple times a day. Be sure its boneless chicken breast with no skin or seasoning of any kind. After a few days of that, start mixing in his kibble slowly to not upset his digestive track.

Now, since it has been 5 days, if he will not eat the meat babyfood, I would then give your vet a call. Talk to him/her about possibly using a caloric supplement like Nutri-cal or Dyne in his water. These are available for purchase online and also at most pet super stores or Tractor Supply Company.

Please let me know how you make out with Charley and if I think of anything further you can try I'll post back here to you. :)

Hello John:

Just checking in on you and Charley to see how he is feeling. Feel free to let me know :) Thank you!