Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Hi, I have an overweight 11 year old chihuahua. I just got

home from the store and...
Hi, I have an overweight 11 year old chihuahua. I just got home from the store and he is shivering, acting strange and won't go down the back porch steps to the back yard. His back is hunched up a little towards his tail. He has pulled a muscle in the past, but I'm afraid this might be more serious. The way he is acting is completely unlike him.
The other reason I am so nervous is because I took him to a park for the first time in years a couple of days ago and I'm afraid maybe he might have caught something there. I am confused and nervous and wondering if I should wait it out or take him to a vet right away. I'm a college student and have very little extra money, otherwise I would take him to the vet right now.
8/16/2013
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi Sir or Madam,

.

My name isXXXXX worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

Is Diesel eating and drinking?

Is he eliminating?

Have you fed him any spicy, fatty or greasy foods recently?

Was he very active at the part the other day?

Is he up to date on his vaccinations?

Is Diesel eating and drinking?

No, not since I've arrived home and he's been acting strange, it's only been about an hour and a half now.

Is he eliminating?

No, he did this morning, but since this has started I let him outside and he did seem to act like he had to go, but never went through the motions. He just came back inside and didn't want to go back out again. He seemed distressed or possibly in pain.

No, he only has dry dog food and real beef treats. No treats since yesterday

Yes, earlier today he was running and acting fine, he jumps down off the couch normally, but won't now. I put him on a pillow in an easy chair and he hasn't moved from there in over 30 mins.

Is he up to date on his vaccinations?

No, it's been a several years since I've had him vaccinated.

Ashley,

.

It isn't a good idea to not have your dog vaccinated but it is believed that vaccines actually last more than just a year or two, so while we can't rule out a disease, I think it is more likely to be a different issue such as pancreatitis or a disc issue.

.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself. Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions. If you have fed your dog any fatty foods like bacon, ham, fried foods etc, in the last few days, that might trigger pancreatitis and your dog is overweight as well.

.

Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated. They will frequently not eat with this. This sounds like it could be a possibility. If he starts vomiting, then I would feel pancreatitis is an even better possibility. You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

.

Chihuahuas are a long backed breed and they are prone to disc issues. Dogs with disc issues often react to the pain with an arched back and they frequently will avoid stairs and jumping up which also fits your dog's symptoms. He may have injured it playing at the park or even slipped or twisted wrong today. You can read more on disc issues here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

.

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

,

Often a constipated dog might also exhibit symptoms like you are seeing as well. If he has eliminated recently then that shouldn't be the issue. He would likely be attempting to eliminate but you state he isn't.

.

Since pancreatitis is considered an emergency and a disc issue is best treated early in order to keep a dog mobile, I would have your dogs seen by your vet to determine which is the most likely cause especially since it is a weekend tomorrow.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Hi Ashley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Diesel. How is everything going?