Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dr. Louis My puppy had a foreign object that required surgical

Dr. Louis My puppy had...
Dr. Louis

My puppy had a foreign object that required surgical removal via scope procedure. She is a 5 month old French bulldog. She has been under vet care for a few days now and is still regurgitating due to esaphogus swelling. The vet stated she has a stomach full of food already and requested food intake while on reglan. We are now administering regalyn 2ml 3x / day. We let her eat a meatball size soft food at dr instructions. However, after a day with very limited regurgitation she has regurgitated 4 times since eating. Any idea how long this will last? Also she has had minimal bowel movements.
8/15/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

I would really hope that Lola could turn the corner within the next 48-82 hours.

I wold also ask the vet about starting some good anti-vomiting medication and an antacid.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

A great medication for the stomach to complement the reglan would be Cerenia. It is a once a day anti-nausea/anti-vomiting drug that may greatly help Lola.

I also wonder if maybe a short acting steroid shot for swelling would be worthwhile. For example, a short acting shot like dexamethasone might have some benefit in this situation.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy,

Thank you for the reply. We were on other meds for antacid and coating the stomach they were discontinued to increase motility. I do not have the RX in front of me. My pup is also sleepy and increased exercise increases the likelihood of regurgitation. I have not slept in a day or so because I am monitoring her. Should I leave her in her crate which she loves and get rest? I do not want to neglect her needs. Lastly, when she regurgitates she gets nervous and scared. Is that normal?
Coating the stomach was likely sucralfate (carafate). It helps to heal any ulcers in the stomach or esophagus.

Yes, she may get a bit anxious or feel nauseated after a regurgitation episode.

Yes, I would allow her to rest. Sounds like some new medications may need to be started.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director