Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My weim has had issues off and on since we rescued her over

a year and a half...
My weim has had issues off and on since we rescued her over a year and a half ago. She is almost 3 and every other month we are at the vet because she has a "bacterial infection". They give us bland food, give her an IV and anti-diarrhea medicine and send her home. This is starting to drive us crazy as we were just in the vet yesterday because she was throwing up from an allergic reaction and now has diarrhea and thinks she needs to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. The vet wants us to come BACK IN to give her an IV of fluids and another antibiotic. Is it time for us to find a new vet? I do not feel like they are helping her at all since we have to constantly take her back there. Please advise. Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2013
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sounds frustrating with Ripley! Can I get a little more information about what is going on with her?

Customer:

What do you need to know?

Dr. Scarlett :

So you adopted her 1.5 yrs ago--where did she come from? What were her original symptoms--just diarrhea? Any vomiting? Poor weight gain or weight loss? Was the "bacterial infection" supposedly in her GI system?

Dr. Scarlett :

What did she have an allergic reaction to yesterday that caused her to start vomiting?

Dr. Scarlett :

What medications, foods, etc has the vet prescribed? Has anything seemed to make a difference?

Customer:

We live in Chesterfield, VA and rescued her from a friend of a friend who kept her in a crate that was too small for her 16 hours a day

Customer:

She originally had diarrhea and when we took her to the vet the first time, they said it was a bacterial infection and has been pretty much every time we have taken her for either vommitting or diarrhea

Customer:

Yesterday, she was vommitting and there was what looked like blood in it so I took her in and they said it was just part of the allergic reaction she had to the antibiotic she was on since Friday. I'm not at home but I think the antibiotic started with a "C" and it was something we had never been given before

Dr. Scarlett :

What is the diarrhea like? Any blood or mucus in it? Does she have accidents in the house or ask to go out frequently? Any straining? Is she gassy at all? Is there a large amount of stool at any one time?

Dr. Scarlett :

What foods do you feed her (kibble, treats, table food, etc)?

Customer:

Every time she has had the infections, they have put her on very bland food and amoxicillan along with endotab and it work

Customer:

*works

Dr. Scarlett :

And after you switch her back to her regular food, the diarrhea starts up again?

Customer:

The diarrhea does not have any blood in it and I don't think mucus either. The only time she has an accident is when we are not home but today when it started, my husband was home and is still home with her now and said she has to go like every 5 minutes or she thinks she does

Customer:

We normally feed her Purina One Sensitive Systems as we have a lab as well and that food worked for both of them

Customer:

She will be fine for a couple of weeks back on the normal food and then the same thing happens again

Dr. Scarlett :

Has your vet ever prescribed a broad-spectrum dewormer, like Panacur or Drontal?

Customer:

He just sent me a text saying he doesn't think she could make it in the truck to get to the vet without going...we live about 10 minutes from our vet

Customer:

I'm not sure what that is?

Dr. Scarlett :

for intestinal parasites (worms)?

Customer:

I know one time, both the weim and lab were on a liquid medicine because they said my lab might be a carrier for parasites

Customer:

and the weim might have them

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, to answer your original question, I think a second opinion would be a good idea. If I were to see Ripley, I would be thinking/trying the following:

Customer:

What should we do today though? He doesn't think she can make it to the vets office and I'm afraid she's going to get dehydrated from going to the bathroom all the time?? I guess I should mention they did a fecal sample yesterday and also did xrays and everything looked great

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, today first. For any diarrhea, the first thing to do is withhold food. Leave out water for her to drink, but let the rest of her GI system "rest." I wouldn't feed anything for 24 hours. Unless she is also vomiting and not drinking anything, I'm not too worried about a big dog getting severely dehydrated in just 24 hours.

Customer:

That's a relief! She has been drinking a lot!

Dr. Scarlett :

Do you have any medication or the bland food previously prescribed for her at home?

Customer:

We have endotab tablets or whatever they are called for the diarrhea which he has given her one of already

Customer:

I do not have any bland food though

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, glad he started the endotabs (I don't know what is in those, either!)

Dr. Scarlett :

I assume you can stop by the vet (without Ripley) and pick up the bland food (I/D?). You don't need it until tomorrow, so no big hurry to get that. I would also expect your vet to willingly dispense more endotabs (maybe you can ask what the ingredients in that pill are!) without seeing Ripley, too.

Dr. Scarlett :

So my thoughts overall, if I were to see Ripley, would be: 1. intestinal parasites. Worms or Giardia most likely, some can be hard to find on fecal analysis. If it hasn't been done, I would give Ripley (and your other dog) Panacur once a day for 3 days, then repeat 3 weeks and 3 months later.

Customer:

They took a fecal sample yesterday and said it looked fine?? I just talked to my husband and he said its the worst he's ever seen it and that she's like drooling too.

Customer:

I'm just really scared at this point.

Dr. Scarlett :

2. Inflammatory bowel disease, possibly due to a food sensitivity. If the bland food seems to make a difference, I would keep Ripley on it all the time. If it is a prescription diet, it is formulated to be fed as a maintenance diet. Both dogs could be fed the diet.

Dr. Scarlett :

The drooling could be due to nausea or just the peristaltic action of the intestines with the diarrhea. How is Ripley's energy level right now?

Customer:

Thank you for this. I am going to save whatever you keep on sending but I am heading home to help my husband somehow get her to the vet. Something is wrong and she needs to go and he says he can't do it by himself.

Customer:

He said she is just laying around until she feels like she needs to go again.

Dr. Scarlett :

Sounds good. I'll type up a few more suggestions for you to look at later. Let me know how things go!!

I hope Ripley is doing better!
1. Broad-spectrum dewormer (Panacur or Drontal Plus) for both dogs.
2. Metronidazole (as an anti-inflammatory antibiotic in the intestines and fairly effective against Giardia).
3. Either the bland diet for life or a "novel protein" diet with ingredients to which she's never been exposed (venison, kangaroo, etc), with no other treats or table foods.
4. Probiotics - your vet likely carries something like Prostora or Fortiflora. These are "healthy" bacteria to help repopulate the gut.
5. If still having diarrhea, then a TLI, B12, folate test (blood test).

Good luck!!

They gave her metronidazole but she is still pathetic. It's awful. Our vet closes at 6 so they told me to take her to the emergency vet if needed. I think it's time to find a new vet.

Poor Ripley! Hopefully you can get the metronidazole into her tonight, with just a small amount of the bland food. It usually works pretty quickly for diarrhea, so she may be feeling better by bedtime.

I think a second opinion would be a good option. It does sound like your current vet is just treating symptoms and not trying to get to the root of the problem.

Well, she spent the night at the emergency vet's office. She was severely dehydrated and everything she drank came out of her so we took her and they kept her overnight. According to them, she hasn't had an accident since 1am but when I got her home, she went to pee and liquid came out of her bum hole while she was peeing. I'm going to keep a close eye on her but since she didn't sleep at all last night they said, she hasn't moved off the couch since I got her inside. Hopefully, we can figure out what is wrong with her all the time because this is getting ridiculous.

Oh, poor Ripley! (and poor you!) Sounds like a horrendous evening.

Did they do any other tests or add in any other medications besides the metronidazole?

No, they said since our regular vet had done tests and xrays the day before, they didn't do it. They just gave her IV fluids and some other medicine and the anti-vomitting shot (I think its called ciana or something like that). They gave her an injection of the antibiotic she was already on but to get it in her system quicker. She has been laying down since we got home and sleeping because I know she is exhausted. Hopefully, the medicine is working.

Hopefully she is improving. Resting and not getting up frequently to strain is a good sign, I think. The anti-vomiting injection is Cerenia and lasts about 24 hours.
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian