Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My dog has a small lump on his shoulder. Looks like a nip

My dog has a small lump on his shoulder. Looks like a nipple.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Did the lump just suddenly appear? Does it seem to bother Ruddy? Are you able to attach a picture of it?

Customer:

Well, we noticed it only yesterday. No it doesn't bother him, even when I feel it. Sorry, can't do pictures, but it is pink, seems to have tiny globes on it like a jewel.

Customer:

Hello?

Dr. Scarlett :

It could be something benign, like a sebaceous adenoma. Does it kind of look like a wart a human might get?

Customer:

I've only seen tiny warts and they haven't been pink. This one is pea sized.

Dr. Scarlett :

mast cell tumors are my other thought, especially since it is pink. They tend to be more smooth, but can look like anything. Since this doesn't look like a wart, it would be best to have your regular vet do a fine needle aspirate and look at the cells.

Customer:

Well, I was afraid you'd say that. We can't see him until tomorrow, and I've already lost one night's sleep.

Customer:

To give you another idea, I can move it around like a female dog's nipple.

Dr. Scarlett :

More than likely it is benign. If it is a mast cell tumor, they can stay a small size for years, before causing any real problems. So I don't think you need to lose sleep until you are able to take Ruddy in.

Customer:

That helps a lot (or are you just trying to get me to sleep?) If it can stay for years, given his age, I don't think it's worrisome.

Dr. Scarlett :

If it is a mast cell, I would remove it, but even at his age, it shouldn't be a big deal. Unless he is 14+, then just monitoring it may be the way to go.

Customer:

Thanks. I'll end it here.