Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I JUST ADOPTED A PUPPY 10 WKS OF AGE YESTERDAY, MALTESE BUT

I JUST ADOPTED A PUPPY 10 WKS OF AGE YESTERDAY, MALTESE BUT IM NOTICING SMALL BLACK BUGS MOVING THRU HIS FUR? AND IM AFRAID ITS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM WITH MY OTHER 2 PETS AND MAYBE MYSELF? IM GOING TO THE PUP INTO THE VET AS SOON AS POSSIABLE BUT IM WORRIED ABOUT THESE TRAVELING THRU THE DOGS FUR?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry you are seeing a problem with Toto.

If you are seeing little black bugs then it is most likely fleas that you are seeing especially this time of year and yes these can not only get on the other dogs but also in the house.

I see you gave her a bath which may help. I would not use a flea shampoo on such a young pup and do not get a flea collar as they do not work. I would suggest bathing with Dawn dish soap as this kills all live fleas. Lather well and let the lather sit for a few minutes then rinse. You can also get a product at the pet store called Cap star that will kill all live fleas within 30 minutes and last for 24 hours. LINK

I am sure your vet will get Toto started on a good flea prevention when you she him/her.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy