Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

My dog just peed on the bed, i think, this the first time should

My dog just peed on the bed, i think, this the first time should i worry?

Theresa :

Hello. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Theresa :

Did you notice any blood in the urine? Has she been drinking more lately? Any vomiting or decline in appetite?

Theresa :

Is she spayed?

Customer:

No Blood, light color sheet, only a little more, however it has been very hot in the house 30c, no vomiting, still eats like a pig, yes she is fixed

Theresa :

While it is not common for a dog to do this as much as it is a cat. Being that she hasn't had an issue like this before I would first suspect a possible medical problem. I do recommend having a urinalysis performed by your family veterinarian to rule out a bladder infection. This is the most common cause of urinary accidents in dogs who are well potty trained.

Theresa :

Was she laying down when this happened or did she actively squat to relieve herself?

Customer:

she was laying down

Theresa :

Did she seem aware that it was happening?

Customer:

not that i could tell but i was reading at the time

Customer:

she didn't pee while i was at work

Theresa :

This may be happening more than you think but not as much as this time. It is very possible that she has urinary incontinence issues.

Theresa :

This is most common in the female dog. It is related to an imbalance of hormones.

Theresa :

Since she didn't actively try to urinate then it likely dribbled out unknowing to her until of course it touched the skin.

Theresa :

Dogs with urinary incontinence are prone to urinary tract infections because the urinary sphincter doesn't fully close. This might be why you are only just noticing it.

Customer:

would be okay to wait on the testing, short on fund seeing that i am trying to pay off a major operation for her TLPO

Theresa :

Keep an eye on her and try to help increase her water intake.

Theresa :

You can give her a cranberry capsule once daily to increase the urinary pH.

Customer:

could this just be one of thing, would cranberry juice be fine?

Theresa :

To help increase her liquid intake add water to her dry food, offer chicken broth mixed with water or alone and keep her water fresh.

Theresa :

The juice has too much sugar.

Theresa :

The tablet or capsule would be better and are usually only a few bucks at your local grocery or drug store.

Theresa :

It can be urinary incontinence without infection yes.

Theresa :

If her water intake significantly increases or she has a need to urinate more often or seems to strain then we run into problems. If you aren't seeing these signs now I don't see why you can't wait and see how things develop.

Customer:

should i still worry if this only happens tonight

Theresa :

This isn't something that you need to panic over if that is what you mean.

Theresa :

Just see how things evolve and they may not become anything more than a little incontinence and it could happen fairly infrequently.

Customer:

so get the cranberry pills, see if we can ride this out if not call the vet after payday

Theresa :

If it does become a frequent issue then a urinalysis would be recommended to rule out an infection and she may need a supplement to help control it should it become bothersome. One of those would be Proin. However, lets see how things go.

Theresa :

Exactly, increase her water intake as well by the suggestions given above.

Customer:

is there anything else i could do

Theresa :

These should be the only things you will need for now.

Customer:

okay thank you

Hi Jessie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Theresa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure, but we have vet appointment tomorrow. I was wondering what could cause my dog to pee on the walk?

Is she just dribbling out urine on the walk too?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, however while we were at the vet they took a urine sample and it was clean.

Did they discuss urinary incontinence with you or recommend trying her on one of the medications to help with the urethral sphincter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not at this time, since of the two pees in the house it stopped. we are figuring the one on the walk is because we worked out hard.