Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Age:7: Male, Golden Retriever In the past 2 weeks I have noticed

Age:7: Male, Golden Retriever In the...
Age:7: Male, Golden Retriever
In the past 2 weeks I have noticed my dog scratching alot, under his belly his back and also biting at his back and found a big chunck og fur where he was biting on his tail. I took him to vet, then gave him allergy shot. It's been a week. Still occurring. I went to PetSmart. The in house Vet Doctor told me it could be fleas - so I purchased Andvatage Flea Medicine and some spray (for fleas, hot spots, ectc) and a cone. That seemed to help. Except today, he is bititng at his back ane legs and paws. What do you think it could be. and what can I purchase to eliminate this problem
7/16/2013
Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet

Theresa :

Have you seen fleas in your home? or on him?

Theresa :

Are there any raised areas?

Theresa :

Recent change of food?

Theresa :

What type of steroid shot did he receive if you remember?

Theresa :

Is he on any medications?

Theresa :

any other medications?

Customer:

No, I have nto seen fleas on him or in my home. I was going to buys a flea comber to see if I pick uo any from his fur.

Customer:

He has scabs from bititng hard. Skin on his left tail is exposed after chewingf hair off

Customer:

Im not quite sure what type of shot he receieved. I will check my vet paper work at home

Customer:

I have given him benedryl

Theresa :

How much benedryl?

Customer:

No recent change in food. He eat Nutro Brand for Adult Dog

Customer:

One tablet

Theresa :

He weighs about how much?

Customer:

When he stays at my boyfriends house. He feeds him a different type of dog food. Not the same. Would that make his itching worse?

Customer:

He weighs 96lbs

Customer:

He swims alot in my pool too

Theresa :

Food/diet can be a cause for itching if the pet has an allergy to something in the food. From now on I would take his food over with him.

Customer:

ok

Theresa :

After the pool he should be rinsed off to remove chlorine from his skin. Also, swimming can really dry the skin so a conditioner may be helpful.

Customer:

what type of conditioner do you recommend

Theresa :

His benedryl dose is not sufficient for his size. He can actually have 4 tablets of benedryl 3-4 times daily.

Customer:

and what do I use for his exposed skin on his tail

Theresa :

I would also recommend that he start on omega three fatty acids as well for his skin and coat.

Theresa :

Actually, I wouldn't worry about the exposed area. With air able to get to it the skin will heal faster.

Customer:

I am not home during the day. I can only give him benedryl in the morning and in the evening when I get home.

Theresa :

Any conditioner made for dogs will work fine but be sure to rinse it out thoroughly. You can also use a spray coat conditioner sold in some stores or by your vet. The one I use is called HyLyt Bath spray and it works wonders but you have to try to get it as near the skin as possible.

Theresa :

Twice a day will work but he does need 100mg of benedryl.

Theresa :

Stick with this plan. If you still aren't seeing results then I would suggest alternating with benedryl in the morning and 10mg of zyrtec in the evening. These are two different types of antihistamine blockers that can have an added benefit, but it is best to start with one before adding another to see what works.

Customer:

Is the Nutro food a good brand.? The one I get him has chicken in it

Theresa :

Nutro is fine. Down the road though if you continue to have year round versus seasonal issues then you may want to consider something hypoallergenic.

Theresa :

Or at least grain free to start.

Customer:

So using the cone that was recommended is not necessary?

Theresa :

I would use it until he starts healing up more. Maybe another day or two but hopefully by then you will see some significant improvements.

Customer:

ok. thanks for your advice.

Theresa :

The benedryl will need to be continued religiously until it gets cold again outside. Stay on the flea prevention as well at least for the rest of the summer and fall.

Customer:

Should I still check for fleas?

Theresa :

You are treating him for them. So no need to go through the extra steps at this point. Just understand that he can still be getting bitten by fleas without you seeing them and can still be bitten even with a topical applied but hopefully this will be lessened.

Theresa :

If he has a severe flea allergy then all it takes is one bite to set him off. This is another reason why he should stay on the benedryl at least until it gets cold out again.

Customer:

ok. understood. Thanks again

Theresa :

Thank you for coming to Just answer. I am so happy that I was able to assist you today. One thing I do want to recommend is that our goal is to get Harley as comfortable as possible and limit the amount of steroids if at all possible. If he develops further issues or continually gets worse come back and we can bounce off some more ideas off of eachother.

Customer:

ok. Thank you very much ; )

Theresa :

You are welcome.

Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
I was just wondering how things are going with your guys itchies and hotspots? Also, if you have yet to rate me please do so so that I can be reimbursed for my time.

Have a lovely day!

Theresa
Hello Yvonne,

Just checking in to see how things are going with your fella. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Also, please rate my response so I know how I am doing.

Theresa

Hi Theresa - Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. Harley is doing good. He isnt biting as much, the benegryl seems to be helping as long as he recieves his daily dosage. His tail is healing, starting to scab. Is it possible that it could get infected. Should I get him a flea collar as well. I read somewhere that the Advantage Flea Topical doesnt do the job.

Make sure that benedryl is twice daily at least. If the tail were to get infected it would be by now. The fact that it is scabbing over is telling me that we are on the right path. Flea collars are pretty much useless in my opinion. The do protect that area of the neck from getting fleas but the rest is fair game. The advantage topical should work fine. The only one that is less powerful is the Frontline. If you notice fleas with the Advantage then I would change to something else but that one is still doing really well. Other options are oral drugs like Comfortis or Trifexis if topicals fail him.

Theresa
Theresa
Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet