Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog has eye crustys still and I have been to the vet twice

my dog has eye crusty's...
my dog has eye crusty's still and I have been to the vet twice and used eye drops for a week to 10 days on two separate occasions.. is there something else I can do that doesn't involve going to a vet again?
7/14/2013
Camille-Mod

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Please find me an answer

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Since the professionals log in at different times, it is very difficult to predict when one will come on with your particular area of expertise. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Camille

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
I need a little more information please.
1. Can you tell me the name of the eye drops that were prescribed?
2. Did the eye drops help?
3. What color are the eye crusts?
Fucithalmic vet eye gel 3gm
They helped a bit
Her eye crusts are yellow
Thank you,
The Fucithalmic eye gel is used to treat bacterial eye infections which is also called "bacterial conjunctivitis."
Conjunctivitis means inflammation of the pink fleshy tissue that is under the eye lids.
I am not sure why she would have chronic eye infections at such a young age.
It could be allergic conjunctivitis.
You could try using over the counter zyrtec allergy eye drops.
In addition to the zyrtec allergy eye drops, you could give benadryl by mouth. The dose for oral benadryl is 1 mg of benadryl, per pound of dog, every 12 hours. For example, a 25 pound dog would get 25 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.
You can also try vetrocyn eye drops.
If those do not work, I think she needs to have her tear production checked. When the tear production is low, the eyes become dry. Dry eyes cause chronic production of yellow or white mucous. A vet could check her tear production in a few minutes. Then, if her tear production was low, you could use lubricating eye drops or a prescription medication, called cyclosporine, which helps increase tear production.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian