Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 16 week old Lab puppy has Roundworms. We found out 3 days

ago because I saw them...
My 16 week old Lab puppy has Roundworms. We found out 3 days ago because I saw them in her stool. She is being treat with special medication now, and will continue on monthly heart worm treatments. Here is the problem...

We only have a small grass area that she has used for her "bathroom" over the last 8 weeks. She came home from the breeder with Coccidiosis (Coccidia). So we treated that when she was 8 weeks old. Then she was treated for a really bad UTI infection at 12 weeks. She never had regular firm stool because of these on going conditions. It was always soft. After scooping up what I could, I would hose down the scooper and any poop residue that was left on the grass.

We don't know how long she has had the roundworms, but soft poop turned into occasional diarrhea about 2 weeks ago. I have hosed all this contaminated roundworm feces into the soil where she still plays with her toys, digs, and goes potty. I also have young Grandchildren who sometimes venture out on the grass, or pick up one of her toys.

What treatment can I use so she doesn't keep re-infecting herself because of the contaminated soil conditions? She is allowed both inside and outside. Is she going to infect us or our home? Does anyone know how to kill the eggs in the soil? I did read that you could remove the surface layer of soil (6 to 8 inches). Then put in new soil and new sod. I also read that you could remove the plants and sod and use a blow torch on the soil....Good darn thing my son is a Firefighter, LOL.

Help! I don't want my poor puppy to keep re-infecting herself. If I use the blow torch (believe me I'm tempted). My husband and son will have me taken away in a Straight Jacket!
7/11/2013
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

All dogs are born with roundworms (they pass via the milk and placenta), which is why regular deworming and then monthly heartworm prevention are essential

Dr. G :

These are zoonotic, which means people can get these too (typically very young children as it is via the fecal-oral route)

Customer:

Are you there?

Dr. G :

It is very uncommon for children to get these worms unless they are very young or practicing bad hygiene

Dr. G :

are you able to see all my responses?

Customer:

My question is more about the contaminated soil and grass.

Dr. G :

That is a difficult question to answer. As long as the dog is on monthly medication, she will be fine. The eggs will die when there is a frost (which is a while from now)

Dr. G :

due to the kids being there, it would be best to keep them away from those areas or make sure you clean up right away after she goes

Dr. G :

the only real way to get rid of all of them is to do what you said and remove the top layer of soil

Dr. G :

As long as everyone is washing their hands, there is very little risk of a human getting these worms

Customer:

I live in Sunny Southern California. No Frost! I have hosed so much poop into the ground the soil must be so contaminated.

Customer:

Are you still there?

Dr. G :

I am still here

Dr. G :

The soil will almost always be contaminated no matter what due to wildlife in the area (coyotes, feral cats, etc)

Dr. G :

Unless it is completely walled/fenced off

Dr. G :

even that is not a guarantee

Dr. G :

The best way for you to deal with this is quick care of fresh feces and making sure everyone washes their hands after playing with the dog or toys, or before eating

Dr. G :

If you keep Dakota on monthly prevention, you wont have to worry about reinfection

Customer:

So me hosing the poop into this small area of grass is going to re-infect her much quicker? The entire house is walled off .

Dr. G :

If she is on monthly prevention, it will take care of the reinfection, so it will never get back to diarrhea

Customer:

Does that mean the worms are gone? Or could she still have a problem with no diarrhea?

Dr. G :

She will get exposed to them whenever she is outside or on a walk, however they should not ever become a problem again if she is on the meds year round

Customer:

If humans are on walking on the grass can we track the eggs into the house?

Dr. G :

There is a low possibility that you could potentially bring eggs into the house

Dr. G :

These eggs are not any danger to a healthy adult

Customer:

Do you know of anything that can be used to kill them in the house. Something to disinfect?

Dr. G :

The eggs need to sit for about a month to hatch, which they could then potentially be a problem to a very young child. Bleach will take care of the eggs

Customer:

when they hatch are they a larva?

Dr. G :

yes

Customer:

What do you use in the case of carpet? Do you know?

Dr. G :

You can vacuum and use a carpet cleaner, that should get rid of most of the eggs

Customer:

will they actually hatch in the carpet?

Dr. G :

It is pretty unlikely they will hatch in the carpet

Customer:

I'm a clean nut, so that would put me over the edge! Thanks for your help!

Dr. G :

You're very welcome. Have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Hi Debbie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going?

Dr. G
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian