Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Dr. Pete mentioned using protamine to reverse the bleeding.

Dr. Pete mentioned using protamine to reverse the bleeding. My local emergency vet clinic is not familiar with this and can't find any protocols. Is there a dosing range? My dog is 14 yo and was doing fine before attempting to remove the mast cell tumor 3 days ago. Since then, we can't stop the oozing of blood. The mass was on his front leg.
Good morning.

I am going to opt out and send this to Dr. Peter. He has more knowledge of this and can help you...

Sorry for this confusion. Wait a few minutes so Dr. Peter can respond. Thanks!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today since Dr. Peter is currently offline.

Hemorrhage after attempting to remove a mast cell tumor is not uncommon especially if there was incomplete removal of it. And, depending on the size and location, it can often be difficult to completely remove....certainly a problem I might expect if a leg is involved.

I personally haven't used Protamine for this problem but I researched a veterinary database and found the following dosage:

Doses of 0.5- 8mg/kg are often used...quite a large range..
More commonly 1-5mg/kg are used.
The drug is given intravenously and if given too rapidly can cause acute hypotension, bradycardia, pulmonary hypertension, and dyspnea (respiratory distress).

You might also consider Yunnan Baiyao (also called Yunnan BaiYao) which is a natural anti-coagulant. You can apply it directly to the skin and it can be taken orally at a dose of one capsule twice a day. I know it's available on the internet but I'm uncertain if you would be able to find it locally. A good source will be important since there are counterfeit products which may not be what they claim. These are two reliable sources:

Jing Tang herbal (tcvmherbal.com(NNN) NNN-NNNN,

A Time to Heal Herbs ( LongLink @ www.atimetohealherbs.com... )

I hope this helps and I wish you the best with this situation. Deb

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the info. Even the oncology vet at Purdue had never used protamine; sounds like the side effects are severe in canines. Anyway, my dog pulled through somehow! We didn't do anything else besides the Vit K, plasma and blood. We took him home to die, but he made it through the night, and each day, he got a little stronger. He's now almost back to normal!

That's incredibly fantastic news and I appreciate your taking the time to let me know!

I think the risks possibly associated with Protamine are why most vets steer clear of it.

The healing power of dogs and cats never ceases to amaze me; I know you must be thrilled to have Buddy doing so well....I hope he continues this trend:)

And, thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated:) Regards, Deb