Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

MY DAUGHTER HAS AN ENGLISH MASTIF WHICH WAS HEALTHY UNTIL TWO

MY DAUGHTER HAS AN ENGLISH MASTIF WHICH WAS HEALTHY UNTIL TWO WEEKS AGO WHEN MY DAUGHTER NOTICE A SLIGHT INDENTATION ON
HIS HEAD AND A DAY OR SO LATER HE WAS STUMBLING- A FEW DAYS LATER SHE TOOK HIM TO A VET AND SHE WAS TOLD HE HAD A SEREVE INNER EAR INFECTION- AND THAT THE MUSCLE ATHROPY WAS SOMETHING THAT SOMETIMES HAPPEN- HE WAS ON ANTIBOITICS AND WAS GETTING WORSE HE CAN NOT WALK NOW THE DOCTOR CHANGE TO
MEDICINE TO STEROIDS - BUT NO IMPROVEMENT- THE DOG HAD BLOOD TEST AND X- RAYS BUT NO SIGNS OF ANYTHING- HAVE YOU SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE- ANY SUGGESTIONS
Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Where exactly on his head was this indentation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ON RIGHT SIDE IN FRONT OF EAR - THE INFECTED ONE- INDENT IS QUITE LARGE NOW ALMOST A FIST SIZE

Thanks for the information. I have just a couple more questions for you to better assess the situation.

Is he able to still eat and drink?

Is he painful when you try to open his mouth?

Does his eye and lip on that side seem to droop down more?

Is he still stumbling around and having difficulty walking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

MY DAUGHTER IS HAND FEEDING HIM ICE CUBES

AND DRY FOOD- HE CAN HARDLY PICK UP HIS HEAD NOW- HE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE IN PAIN WHEN HE OPENS HIS MOUTH-

THEY EYE ON INDENT SIDE IS CLOSE LOOKS SWOLLEN AROUND THAT AREA AND BELOW IT

HE DOES NOT GET UP ANY MORE -DOES NOT SEEM TO BE MOVING ANY LONGER FROM SIDE TO SIDE

Thanks for the information. There are a couple things I would consider here. First, it is possible that it could be related to an inner ear infection. Usually you will get more facial nerve paralysis with that, but it is possible. The problem is that the infection may need to be surgically cleaned out in order to get rid of it and resolve the issue. My concern, though, is if he is actually dealing with a condition called masticatory muscle myositis (MMM). It is an inflammatory disease of the muscles that control eating. It is usually painful, and they cannot eat. It typically responds to steroids, though. Trigemminal neuritis is possible as well. This is called "dropped jaw disease." It will cause them to not be able to open close their mouth. It wouldn't be painful like MMM would be. Lastly, with the difficulty walking, I would be very concerned if the lesion would be closer to the brain, where this specific nerve starts. That would make me more concerned about a brain tumor. At this point, if steroids and antibiotics aren't working, I would have him referred to a veterinary neurologist for a full examination. He most likely needs an MRI to get a correct diagnosis. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Hi Denise,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hudson. How is everything going?

Texas Veterinarian