Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I am in a state of panic. I am dog sitting for someones new

I am in a state...
I am in a state of panic. I am dog sitting for someone's new puppy french bulldog. I just took it out to go to the bathroom and I think I saw it with a dead bird in it's mout but I am
not sure. However I did pull a feather out of his mouth. I don't know what to do. I will try and find a vet's office that is open but it is the 4th of July. If anyone could answer quickly it would really help
7/4/2013
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

There may not necessarily be any reason for you to be in a state of panic.

Drew :

There's nothing that is specifically harmful about having a bird in the mouth,

Drew :

though of course if an entire bird were swallowed, it could lead to digestive upset.

Drew :

It is an option to seek veterinary care, if you wish to have an x-ray to see if the bird is in the pup's stomach,

Drew :

but if not, then you'll have to watch for signs of vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and lethargy.

Drew :

I would not typically suggest inducing vomiting unless you're sure that something was eaten which should not have been.

Drew :

Since you stated that you are not sure, it may be reasonable to monitor him closely for the rest of the day.

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian

From the time I saw what looked like it might have been a dead bird on the ground and then found a feather in the dog's mouth was just a split second. Could a dog swallow a bird that quickly? Also should I give him his regular dog food?

Is it possible, yes, it is. I certainly can't tell you that it wasn't possible to swallow a bird rather quickly.

I'd not feed him for at least 4 hours, to see what happens, if no signs of a problem occur, then small amounts of his regular food, every few hours, would be a reasonable approach.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian