Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 10 year old dog has the symptoms of Cushings disease. We

My 10 year old dog has the symptoms of Cushings disease. We cannot afford the number of tests is will take to determine for certain if she has it and if so which type. Are there treatments we can use that are safe if she doesn't actually have Cushings?

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

The ideal treatments for Cushing's will cause problems if given to dogs who do not have this condition.

Drew :

There is one option, a drug called Selegiline, which would be the exception here.

Drew :

this drug doesn't treat the actual problem -- but does seem to reduce some of the symptoms associated with Cushing's, and there are very few if any side effects.

Drew :

it would be worth asking your vet about.

Customer:

Her symptoms are over eating, bloated belly and weight gain. From what I understand the condition is incurable so all we can do is treat the symptoms, correct?

Drew :

Sorry for not seeing your last reply;

The selegiline is not likely to fully address those signs -- typically the excess thirst and urination, and possibly the panting, may be reduced, but it will not affect weight gain to any significant degree, and certainly not the bloated belly. Appetite "may" be suppressed slightly.