Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 12 year old (8lbs) schnauzer has not been eating well (but

dirt from my potted plants)...
My 12 year old (8lbs) schnauzer has not been eating well (but dirt from my potted plants). Monday night her breathing seemed shallow . I took her to the vet Tues and they said she was anemic 30.5. They did blood work and x-rays. X-rays They gave me a prescription for prednisone. I just called them (Thursday) to get results from blood work but they are not back . I have been giving her table food because that is all she will eat (other than the dirt). I am at my wits end and do not want her to suffer but she does not seem to be in any pain and no coughing or passing blood. HELP!!
6/27/2013
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Do you feel like she is suffering?
Do you know what blood work is pending?

I do not feel like she is suffering from any pain because she is not crying out at all. She is losing her energy and seems listless. My husband just called and had taken her outside and he said she stayed in the same spot and made no attempt to walk around. I do not know what kind of blood work they are doing? They seemed very concerned about the anemia. I just feel like we are losing her very quickly.

My guess is that they are running blood work to see if her bone marrow is still making new red blood cells as well as a test to see if she had autoimmune disease where her body is attacking her own red blood cells. If she has an autoimmune disease, the prednisone should start to help. If her bone marrow is not making red blood cells, that would be a very bad prognosis. Usually the maximum time it takes to get blood work back is 72 hours. So I think you should have the results by tomorrow if not later today.
She is anemic, but 30.5 should not be life threatening unless it has gotten worse since Monday.
Try to keep her as still as possible. Because she is anemic, she does not have the usual amount of red blood cells to carry oxygen to her tissues. This causes her to be lethargic. So the more she holds still, the better.
The prednisone can upset her stomach. To help prevent that, you can give her a human stomach acid reducer like pepcid ac. Pepcid ac comes in 10 mg tablets. Give her 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet, per 10-20 pounds of weight, every 8 hours.
Organic pan seared beef liver can be good for her as well. It is high in iron.
You can also give her "hivite drops." This is a vitamin iron supplement. I know they sell it online and at vet clinics. They may have it at petsmart, as well, but I would call ahead to make sure.
A b-12 shot can help increase her appetite and energy level. This would have to be given by a vet.
The vet can also put her on an appetite stimulant.
If she is really concerning you, I would take her back into the vet today.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hi Debra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian