Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

dog to having an allergic reaction to detergent

Customer Question

Is it possible for my dog to have an allergic reaction to detergent on my towels? We gave him a bath today with his normal shampoo but noticed later in the evening his eyes lids (above his eyes) looked red and he cannot sit still for more that 2 -3 minutes, so restless. The only thing I can think of is I switched detergents and maybe when we dried him off he became affected

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.'

Sorry about the wait.

Yes, it's possible that he is having an allergic reaction. This could be due to the detergent on the towels or to the shampoo that was used. Either way, we can get redness to the eyes and facial swelling. We can also get itching and hives of the skin.

To manage this, you can use over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.