Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Holly.
Well, maybe not. It really depends on what has caused the colitis. Of course, a little more simple to address if it was just caused by a dietary iniscretion, having ingested something you don't know about.
When the stool also has a oily, mucoid/jelly, or blood in it that suggests colitis. Colitis is inflammation of the large intestine. Colitis in Dogs
A few options to help correct loose stools include:
1. Prescription medication like flagyl (metronidazole) is excellent:Flagyl
If there is blood or mucous in the stool, to suggest colitis, than a vet may also consider Sulfasalazine:Sulfasalazine
2. Adding some fiber to the diet. Metamucil for Pets Pumpkin for Pets (not pumpkin pie filler)
3. Various probiotics for the short-term or even sometimes long-term for chronic digestive problems: Rx Biotics
- For this probiotic, you’ll need your vet to order it, or find a local vet who carries it.Vetri-probiotic BD
Although not a sole treatment for diarrhea, another effective supportive supplement:Rx Clay
A very popular choice:Fortiflora
-above link for dogs, but you can select cat products as well.
4. A prescription diet like Science diet I/D, I/D low fat, W/D, or Royal Canin gastrointestinal can be useful.
5. A at-home bland diet:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Of course, some of these options may not be readily available where you live.
So, a bland diet and adding fiber are good options. I really like when vets prescribe flagyl!
A very popular choice with vets in the States for treating diarrhea and/or colitis.
Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.