How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20405
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Moodle pup that had a fall last week and had a limp

This answer was rated:

I have a Moodle pup that had a fall last week and had a limp as a result, she then appeared to be fine a day later. Now I have noticed the leg pushing out and is having difficulty walking. She does not appear to be in pain but definitely uncomfortable. Could it be her knee cap? We live and work on a fishing boat and are currently at sea and unable to take her to a vet. Is there something we can do for her until we reach port?
Hello and welcome .

Sorry to hear about Tilly ...

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...


Hello again Craig and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Well with Tilly's breeding yes it could well be a kneecap problem but if it all started after a fall then other diagnosis would certainly be possible. All you can do as far as diagnosis goes is to wait until you get ashore to have your vet examine her I am afraid.

2. What to do in the meantime? : The best thing to do is to encourage her to rest and keep immobile as much as possible, just keep her calm comfortable and reassured.

As far as human over the counter pain killers go your only real option would be aspirin, many of the others are not suitable for dogs and can cause problems and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs.

A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily.

Here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Scott, just wondering if I can strap her leg for support or am I better to leave it. We could be at sea for another 6 weeks can that cause more complications? Am I better to take her into port earlier?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Strapping up is probably best avoided, some vets would suggest crate rest as being good in this sort of situation. You may have a dog crate or suitable small box aboard, the smaller the better really because the main thing is to limit her movement as much as possible in the day. Let her out for the minimum amount of time now and again just to do her business and eat. But supervise her and keep her walking slowly at these times.

You could try confining her like that for four or five days and then try a gradual return to exercise. But if the condition is not improving whatever you do then I guess the sooner she is seen by a vet the better even if this means putting back into port ...


Dr Scott Nimmo and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again Craig,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Tilly is getting on.

How are things going at present?