Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Will my 25 lb 12 year old dog survive eating two ms contin

Will my 25 lb 12 year old dog survive eating two ms contin 60 mg er pills?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech for 30+ years. In order to help Charlie I need to know how long ago did Charlie eat the pills? How is he acting now? Do you haveany 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in the house?

Joan

I see you went off line. If the pills were ingested within 45 min to an hour. You can induce vomiting by feeding a small piece of bread and then giving 1 teapsoon full of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight. Jostle the stomach and Charlie should vomit within 15 mins. you will need to follow up with the Vet for supportive care (a charcoal Lavage and fluids) This can be repeated once. If he does not vomit, he needs to see the Vet asap for supportive care. He can survive with the proper care, but if not adressed he can have horrible effects from the medication that may include seizures, problems breathing and a pardoxial effect. Please try to induce vomiting if within the time frame I suggested if he is awake and alert. If he is sleepy or having problems from the medication, please get him to the Vet asap. Joan

Hi Lindy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Joan