Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Have a 1 year 4 months old German Shepherd. What is the best

type of dog food to...
Have a 1 year 4 months old German Shepherd. What is the best type of dog food to put her on? Grain free? Raw diet?
6/13/2013
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi Sir or Madam,

.

My name isXXXXX professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

This is really a personal choice that each owner has to make. However, you can be educated on the things that need to be taken into consideration.

.

Not all dog food is created equal. It is best to read the label of ingredients when picking a dog food for your dog. Ingredients are listed on a dog food bag according to the amount by weight of the ingredient from most to least. A great deal of dog food contains corn or wheat as one of the first 3 ingredients meaning that a large amount of the food is filler. Neither item is necessarily bad for you and Corn can be very nutritional, but some dogs do have allergies to these ingredients. . Many dogs have skin problems which are vastly improved or resolved when they are switched to a dog food which contains little to no corn or wheat. So if shopping for a brand of kibble for you dog, be sure and read the bag or go to this site which lists the ingredients of most dog food including store brands. My rule of thumb is not to use anything that lists Corn or wheat as one of the first 2 ingredients and one that uses Meat of some sort as the first ingredient. Now one thing I should mention is that many people think meat meal is a bad thing and prefer a food that just says chicken or beef, but you need to know that the weight of that would include moisture which would make it weigh more, so take that into consideration. My personal favorite as a food is Innova or Eagle Pack.. Here is a great comparison site: Click on pet food comparison.

http://www.usadogstoday.com/dog_food_comparisons.htm

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/best-dog-foods-ranked.html

.

You can also read up on the BARF diet, which is feeding bones and raw foods.

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

.

Be advised that feeding a raw diet does have risks associated with it as well as you can read here:

http://trends.aahanet.org/NEWStatArticle.aspx?id=NSV10I31&key=a99cef7b-5fd2-48ca-934b-f2d76dd8aa56#.UCQXvdZczkI.facebook

.

Here is a homemade diet.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/homemade-diet-recipe-for-healthy-adult-dogs/page1.aspx?utm_source=dogcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

.

I do want to stress that the best food may not be the most expensive food so check out all the foods you come across including feed stores like tractor supply which has their own brand which many breeders use.

.

I tend to use a combination of raw diet and kibble for my dogs and it seems to do real well as far as keeping their nutritional needs met and keeping the coat shiny, immune system working well and the teeth clean.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Thank-you for the extensive information. Looks like we have a lot to research on. Thank-you again.