Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Can my dog get HPV if he licks my dirty underwear or my partners

Can my dog get HPV...
Can my dog get HPV if he licks my dirty underwear or my partner's used condom which might have sperm in it? I am currently being cured for genital warts. Just worried for him to transferring it to other people or being a carrier.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

No, a dog cannot acquire the HPV virus from a person. Also, they cannot act as a carrier, since the viral condition cannot establish itself in the canine body.

I do not see any concern with your pet acquiring infection or transmitting it.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director

So even if he licks some sperm of my partner (who has HPV as he gave it to me) my dog will be fine and will no be a carrier to other people?

Your dog would be fine. Unless your dog licked another person very soon after licking the sperm, there is no way for transfer.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Andy, Medical Director