Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I have 9 -6 week old lab pups, some tested positive for worms

I have 9 -6 week old lab pups, some tested positive for worms Friday(the test for Parvo came back negative). They started Panacur on Friday and had second dose yesterday and final dose today. Problem is they have diarrhea still and some blood in stool/diarrhea Is this the common result of Panacur? Is this what the vet meant by watching their stool for a few days after. Also I have seen a few worms come out. (which I believe is normal)

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

First a couple questions: what kind of worms were present? Was there any vomiting or diarrhea before starting the medication?

Customer:

yes there was vomitting and diahrea and the worm was white like spaghetti

Dr. G :

I see. The signs you see are very very common with dogs with worm infestations.

Dr. G :

It is likely the puppies would benefit from some metronidazole from your vet, which is a medication that can decrease inflammation in the intestines and thus reduce the diarrhea and blood in the stool. If this continues, you should see your vet tomorrow for the medication

Customer:

I'm mainly concerned that the stool had some blood in it . Wanted to make sure this was normal result after a dog with worms takes panacur (so to get better they have to go through getting the worms/blood out)? Is that correct? So how soon could I see normal stool after finishing the medicine? Also I should say that they have been eating puppy food and drnking water and pedialite as normal. I wondered if I should give them rice instead?

Dr. G :

The blood is not "normal" and is not due to the panacur, but it is due to the inflammation and damage caused by the worms and it is expected in puppies with bad worm infestations. It should resolve with a little time (1-2 days typically). You can feed a very small amount of plain boiled chicken and rice in a 50:50 mixture as the normal meals for the next 24 hours as that is very easy on the stomach and can sometimes make the signs improve a little bit faster

Customer:

so if I feed the boiled chickena nd rice no need for puppy food for 24hours correct?

Dr. G :

correct

Customer:

thanks thats what I needed to know.

Dr. G :

you're very welcome. I wish you the best with your puppies. Have a great day!

Customer:

thanks you too