Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 75lb goldendoodle (1.5 yrs old) just nabbed and ate a just-used

My 75lb goldendoodle (1.5 yrs old) just nabbed and ate a just-used tampon. I'm not worried about him being able to pass it, he can eat underwear whole and poop it out just fine (not that I don't try my best to discourage that!). What I'm worried about might sound a little crazy..... is it possible that the bacteria on the tampon could cause him to get sick? Toxic Shock Syndrome is what I'm especially worried about.
Hello there! My name isXXXXX and sorry to hear that your dog is trying to cause some trouble. The good news is that bacteria is not really a concern in instances like this. his stomach acid should take care of all that. Toxic shock syndrome is unique to female human beings so that is not a concern in him. I would just monitor him for any signs of not passing it. If you wanted to make sure you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs and redose in 15 minutes if he does not vomit. That way if he vomits it up you just don't have to worry about it passing at all. But since he passes underwear in the past then the chance of him not passing it is minimal but still there a little.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to be sure, no matter how bacteria filled the tampon was, it shouldn't pose a health risk to him? What are signs I should look for if he is sick or can't pass it?
The most the bacteria will do is cause a upset tummy. So watch for any vomiting and diarrhea for both if he is sick or can't pass it. Also if he can't pass it he won't want to eat and his stomach will be tense and painful usually

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead