Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I am worried about fiberglass insulation with regards XXXXX XXXXX

dog. There was work done...
I am worried about fiberglass insulation with regards XXXXX XXXXX dog. There was work done in the garage today and involved the removal of the aforementioned insulation. Now, my dog has not gotten his paws into it, so there is no threat of it right now. However, I am worried since my brothers were walking over some of it, potentially spreading it. Should I be worried?
5/23/2013
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Just like when humans get into fiberglass insulation, dogs can have pretty severe reactions to the tiny irritating particles in the insulation. It gets on their paws and the tiny shards can cause some pretty serious irritation.

It's nothing fatal or even seriously damaging...but it can cause the dog to want to scratch and rub...sometimes to the point of damaging their skin while scratching.

The absolutely best thing to do is to sweep and mop the floors between the garage and wherever your brothers walked. That will completely clean the floors from the insulation.

Also, ask your brothers to run the bottoms of their shoes under warm water. That'll clean any leftover particles off the bottom of their shoes.

If there's carpeting in the house that you can't mop...then simply vaccuming them will take care of any stray insulation.

I hope this helps.
Can the dog accidentally ingest the fragments in their paws and damage their insides?
Yes and no.

If a dog were to eat the insulation in its complete form (the pink fluffy stuff), then yes, we worry about the particles causing damage in the digestive tract.

However, if does take a rather large piece to cause that to happen. Just the tiny particles that he may ingest from just licking the paws isn't very likely to cause any major problem. Which is a good thing.
So what is the best thing for me to do right now?
Mop the floors. Vaccum the carpet. Make the brothers wash the bottoms of their shoes.

That will be more than enough to eliminate the threat of your dog getting any of the insulation on his feet.
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Thanks. Regarding the shoes, is this more to do with risk of contamination?
Yes. Just to make sure that there's no fiberglass particles stuck in the soldes of the shoes, or trapped between teh treds.
If he were to walk on a carpet with those shoes, is the vacuum not enough?(this is my OCD).
(I remember the OCD...)

The vacuum is absolutely enough for the carpeting with those shoes.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech