Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog is panting like short breaths gagging like he want to

spit something up dry nose...
my dog is panting like short breaths gagging like he want to spit something up dry nose not eating or drinking water everytime he moves it starts again when he lays quiet he is short of breath but not gagging he dosn't want to go outside or byby all this in the last four days prior he acted like he had a hairball or something that for quite a while now I tried sticking my finger down his throat but nothing and I tried putting water thinking it would loosen what ever help
5/21/2013
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. The issue most likely isn't even in his throat. It could be lower in the trachea or even the lungs. An upper respiratory infection is possible, but it usually doesn't cause them to stop eating and drinking. He may have bronchitis, pneumonia, respiratory parasites, lung masses or even a heart problem that is underlying it. Some type of trauma to the trachea is possible as well. If it is something that has been going on for 4 days, and he is not eating or drinking, my best advice is to get him seen by a vet ASAP. There isn't a lot that is really safe that you can give a dog for coughing. Robitussin DM (has to be DM) is about the safest one, but it is a pneumonia, you are suppressing a cough that is meant to be protective. So, trying to suppress the cough could be detrimental in some cases. He will get dehydrated very quickly if not drinking as well. My concern is that it could be something more serious that requires veterinary attention before it gets worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.
he is gagging and panting its worse when he moves
It is definitely one of the reasons I would suspect something more serious is going on. If he seems to be in distress or getting worse, he may need to be evaluated by an emergency vet tonight.
I cannot afford a vet what else can I do
It really depends on what is going on. For coughing, Robitussin DM (1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs every 6-12 hours) is the only one safe enough to give dogs. Like I said, though, if it is a pneumonia, you can cause it to get worse by suppressing the cough. You are really limited on what you can do in these situations at home. There is no special remedy for curing any cause of coughing in dogs. He could need anything from oxygen therapy, antibiotics, drainage of fluid from the chest, heart medications, blood pressure medications or deworming for lung worms. Those are things that require a veterinarian to do. You can always see if a vet in your area will take payment plans, offer a free office visit for first time clients, let you use Care Credit or treat conservatively with antibiotics. I wish there was some special way for you to treat this at home, but at some point, a trained professional is required. Hope this helps.
what would they give him if it is parasites or worms I've got a sinking feeling that might be what it is
They would probably give him a fenbendazole based dewormer. Lung worms don't respond to certain dewormers.
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you for your time your right there is really nothing to be done except get him to a Vet i feel really bad is that I have no money I was lucky I had enough on my card to ask you the questions. I did call a couple of Vets here in Ca but they are really harsh and want MONEY UP FRONT so my poor little dog is just suffering
You are very welcome. I really wish there was more you can do. Any family or friends you may loan you enough for at least an office visit?
No I had my Son and he would have helped me but he passed away in Febuary suddenly I get Social Security and am lucky to pay my rent and that with my Son gone I am alone. you don't have to take up any more of your time to answer me I know its late there
I am so sorry to hear about your son. How is Louie doing?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian