Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I HAVE A 10YR OLD CHOCOLATE LAB, SHE HAS NOT BEEN THE MOST

ACTIVE DOG SINCE BEING FIXED...
I HAVE A 10YR OLD CHOCOLATE LAB, SHE HAS NOT BEEN THE MOST ACTIVE DOG SINCE BEING FIXED 3YRS AGO, AND IS OVERWEIGHT , SHE HAS RECENTLY LOST WEIGHT AND HAS LOST MUSCLE TONE IN HER BACK HIPS, AND ITS HARD FOR HER TO GET UP FROM LAYING DOWN ,GROANS NOW WHEN GETTING UP OR DOWN, NEED HELP CANT AFFORD VET
5/19/2013
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

.

Does she seem to move easier once she is up and moving?

Is she on any medication?

Has her vet ever mentioned hip dysplasia to you?

Would you say she is very overweight?

.

Once she is "up" on her feet (sometime i have helped her)she is stable to walk but appear weak balance in her rear legs. She is not on any medication. aprox 3yrs ago she had Piometra and had surgery to remove uterus. at which time the Vet suggested she was a candidate for hip dysplacia due to breed, gender, age and she was overweight. and post surgery became a house dog , and yes she is i believe overweight.
Leonard,.Your vet is correct that the breed is prone to hip dysplasia and carrying extra weight doesn't help. It is also likely that she has arthritis. It is going to be important that you get her weight down. There are several ways of going about this. One way is to check her current food bag and find the amount she should be eating for her weight and cut that in half and break that amount into two meals a day for her. Thus you will be reducing her calorie intake in half. Since she doesn't want to walk much, you might make a sling for her rear end. Many people will use an old beach towel slipped under her abdomen to help support her rear while walking. They also sell slings for not only this purpose but to help dogs go up and down stairs and to rise..A second method which is slower is to find the correct amount of food for her ideal weight and only feed that amount each day. You will still want to keep her moving as much as possible to give her exercise and increase muscle tone. .

You might want to try glucosamine chondroitin (a supplement) and see if that helps her along with deramaxx. These you would get from a vet. Many senior foods contain glucosamine now, so check her food to see if that is in her food. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/glucosamine-and-chondroitin-cosequin/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/deracoxib-deramaxx/page1.aspx

.

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Some owners will use aspirin twice a week to help avoid problems with side effects. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

.

Aspirin can not be used full time so you will need to see the vet and ask about deramaxx for your girl.

.

You might want to consider Adequan which is injected and said to have some great results in restoring mobility of the joint.

http://www.adequancanine.us/images/AdequanProductLabel.pdf

.

And if the condition is extremely severe, surgery might be warranted. Surgery might include just clearing out debris from the joint, or repairing the joint by rebuilding parts and fusing bone or in some cases whole joints are replaced with artificial joints. With finances an issue, this is probably not an option.

.

Some owner elect to start using braces to help keep the joint immobile. You can see braces here:

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.php/help-pets-walk/dog-braces.html

.

There have been some interesting results in using stem cells in the treatment of canine arthritis. You can read about this here and talk to your vet about this possible treatment for your dog.

http://www.vet-stem.com/smallanimal/

Now there are some places that give new customers a free office visit so this might be a way of getting your girl seen to verify it is arthritis. There are also other organizations that might help financially. I'm listing these below.

Care Credit

http://www.carecredit.com

Quick application and approval for care credit card. You can sometimes apply and get approval while you are at the vet office.

Labrador Lifeline

http://www.labradorlifeline.org/success/2005-abbey.htm

LabMed: Rx For Rescued Labs

http://www.labmed.org/aid_main.html

This site may have additional resources as well.

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

These vets may offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/directory.html?utm_content=link.corp.ffe.locator.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Hi Leonard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duchess. How is everything going?