Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Is it okay to split a 50 mg Tramadol tablet for my 65lb dog.

if one plus 1/2 tab...
Is it okay to split a 50 mg Tramadol tablet for my 65lb dog. if one plus 1/2 tab is correct for a 75lb dog, would this be too much for 65lb girl?
5/9/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sweetie Pie.

I cannot endorse you changing the medication from anything other then what the vet prescribed.

But, to answer your question:
Yes, that would be safe even if only weighing 65 pounds.
Tramadol is generally quite safe with a very wide dosing range.

I don't think your vet would even flinch if you wanted to give 1.5 tabs to a 65 pound dog. Of course, let them know. :)

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an in-person examination.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director