DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.
73027278

My dog had a very loose stool last night.this morning it was

My dog had a very loose stool last night.this morning it was a little better but still somewhat loose. He ate his breakfast today. Anything else to do ? I was going to bring to the Vet if it gets worse.

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

DrEllie :

I'm sorry to hear that Benji is having some loose stool. Is he vomiting at all?

DrEllie :

Also, could you tell me how much Benji weighs?

I'm sorry that you were unable to view my response in the other format. Just in case you cannot see what I previously responded, I have copied and pasted the response below....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is not vomiting. He weighs about 15 lbs.
As long as Benji is active and eating and drinking, it is reasonable to wait and see how he progresses. If he begins to vomit, you may consider having him seen by a veterinarian.

There are a few things you can try at home if you would like.

First, a bland, easy to digest diet may be considered for the next 3-5 days. A good example of this would be boiled skinless, chicken breast with some white rice. After the initial 3-5 days, then gradually begin to add in Benji's normal food and transition him slowly back to his normal food.

Second, if you feel the diarrhea is severe enough, Pepto Bismol may be helpful. Benji's dose is 1-13 mL orally every 8 hours. I would recommend using the lower end of the dose (maybe 5 mL/1 teaspoon) to start with. In addition, if the diarrhea has not improved or resolved within a day or two, you will want to have Benji evaluated by hi veterinarian. (If Benji has any underlying health issues, you should check with his regular veterinarian before giving the Pepto Bismol)

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need clarification on anything I have told you. It is my pleasure to help with Benji! Also, I thank you for your patience and understanding with the technical aspect of the site. Technology can be frustrating at times!