Can alprozalam be used in dogs that fear and are uncontollable during grooming?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: can alprozalam be used in dogs that fear and are uncontollable during grooming?
Answered by reanih in 7 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
reanih
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi There!

I'm sorry your pups give you such a hard time! There are a couple of things to try before resorting to alprozam....The first is a tryptophan supplement. They come in chewable tablets and can be purchased online under names such as ProQuiet. It works well, and I would start them on it a day or two before their trip to the groomers. It is completely safe and can be given morning and evening as a treat.

Another option is a DAP collar for them. It emits a calming pheromone scent that has a calming effect and helps with stress. It is also a completely safe remedy to try on them.

If they get anxious as soon as they get in the car, thunder shirts can help with this for the trip to the vet. They are basically a wrap that they wear like a shirt, that somehow also has a calming effect using the pressure of the shirt.

I would definitely recommend trying these things before resorting to such a strong drug....I hope they help!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Customer

I tried what you reccomended and it did not have any effect. I dont know why they are so fearful and behave badly when trying to groom them. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!!!

I am sure you are.....

Give the tryptophan a few days to have an effect if you have not already. It is important that it be given at consistent intervals. Also keep in mind, that dogs are great at sensing our anxiety. If you are anxious thinking that they are going to react, they WILL react. They look to you as their pack leader (at least they should) and if they sense that you are anxious, well to them, THEY should be anxious.

Practice this at home. Put them in a situation that makes them edgy, but instead of you expecting them to react, act as if nothing is wrong, take deep breaths and stay calm. They should follow suit.

If your dogs do not view you as pack leader, then this needs to come first. One way to do that is not to allow them to walk in front of you on the leash, but walking next to you. Also be sure when you bring them outside, that you are the one to exit the door first, and they come when you ask them too. These simple measures can really go a long way.

Keep me posted! This may take some time resetting their minds to not react, but it certainly can be done. Just remember, consistency, calm, rules. All of this establishes you as the head dog.

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

One more thought...

Benadryl (and only Benadryl) can also have a calming effect, and less heavy duty of a drug. I would not make it a constant thing, but certainly may help while you work with them on their anxiety.

The dosage would be 0.5 to 2 mg per pound. I would start at 1mg per lb.

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Reani
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
reanih
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
reanih
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.