Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

What is the proper dose of Prevacid for a 90 pound 3 year old

dog taking 400mg of ibuprofen...
What is the proper dose of Prevacid for a 90 pound 3 year old dog taking 400mg of ibuprofen qd.
3/28/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Dr. Andy :

Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

I will wait a few moments to see if you can successfully get into the chat room.

Dr. Andy :

If not, no worries. I will exit, and respond to you momentarily with either an answer or some additional questions.

Dr. Andy :

hello

Dr. Andy :

are you there?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Andy :

Great. Ibuprofen. We don't recommend a lot of ibuprofen in pets. Is this just a short time thing that you also discussed with your vet?

Dr. Andy :

most vets tend to recommend aspirin instead.

Dr. Andy :

It's not really your question, but just wanted to ask anyway to give you the best answer I can.

Customer:

Oh great. Thank you

Dr. Andy :

Are you just trying to treat a injury on your own? just so I know

Customer:

I am a pharmacist. So I know about drug in humans.

Dr. Andy :

understood. good to know

Dr. Andy :

There are plenty of sites on the internet that do suggest dosing for ibuprofen in dogs. But, many vets tend to suggest aspirin instead.

Dr. Andy :

But!

Dr. Andy :

Both can be really hard on the stomach. Definitely, not preferred over the non-steroidal medications prescribed by vets like rimadyl, deramaxx, or metacam.

Customer:

I am concerned about the gi effects of nsaids. What is the benefit of aspirin over ibu for inflamation in dogs

Dr. Andy :

also, prevacid is almost never used in pets. Not that it couldn't be, but definitely not a first choice. However, Pepcid A.C.! We use buckets full of pepcid in dogs AND cats.

Dr. Andy :

Benefit. Maybe none for effectiveness, but I tend to run into "less" GI problems with aspirin.

Dr. Andy :

I would say neither is as effective as the true prescription NSAIDS like rimadyl or metacam.

Dr. Andy :

Just to get back on track for a second. I would not use Prevacid, but here's dosing for Pepcid A.C.

Dr. Andy :

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination:

1. Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.

You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

2. Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.

You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg

3. Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.

You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Dr. Andy :

Provided also some info for prilosec.

Dr. Andy :

usually, if giving aspirin, I recommend Pepcid A.C. about 1 hour beforehand.

Dr. Andy :

Sorry to change subject, but wanted to make sure I got the main answer to your question addressed first.

Customer:

So you would recommend aspirin and zantac?

Dr. Andy :

Here's a nice concise site with more info about ibuprofen, just in case you still wanted to use it, but not my first suggestion:

Dr. Andy :

Motrin (ibuprofen)

Dr. Andy :

Well, I don't know what is wrong or its severity. But, I tend to be more of a pepcid and aspirin doctor.

Dr. Andy :

Aspirin is usually about 10mg per pound, although I always suggest starting lower.

Customer:

What dose of aspirin. Basically he has a hitch in he getty up

Dr. Andy :

Hope that information has been helpful. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.

Dr. Andy :

No more than every 12 hours and no longer than 48 hours.

Dr. Andy :

Definitely, restricted activity. No running and jumping in the meantime.

Dr. Andy :

Any vomiting, diarrhea, or blood in stool, stop ASAP.

Dr. Andy :

Anything else I can help with?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Andy :

fire away

Customer:

Did you say 10mg/lb of aspirin?

Dr. Andy :

Yep. But, not really a fan of starting at the recommended dose, especially with a 90 pound dog.

Dr. Andy :

Perhaps, 500mg max!

Customer:

With Pepcid AC?

Dr. Andy :

Yep. Well, pepcid first. about 1 hour ahead.

Customer:

Have you seen any problems with thinning of the blood and bleeding with aspirin and dogs

Dr. Andy :

Not in a few years. 1 case. Generally, most people are not giving enough and over a long enough period of time to cause it.

Dr. Andy :

I do see a lot of GI bleeding that can happen even with just a dose or two in dogs.

Dr. Andy :

Aspirin is horrible for cats. Far more toxic.

Dr. Andy :

But, a little GI ulceration is generally easy to correct with stopping it and some supportive care.

Customer:

Do the H2 blockers provide as much protection against GI bleeding as the PPI's? I know that in humans PPI's are used before H2 blockers.

Dr. Andy :

That's a tough one. We would need to really have a internist get involved with that question. sometimes, its also a cost issue. When you can pick up generic famotidine for very cheap, that is often why it gets suggested.

Dr. Andy :

Based on experience, I can't say there has been a noticeable different in them for me.

Dr. Andy :

Now, that could mean PPI is still more effective, but because a H2 blocker is still getting the job done, it would be tough to tell the difference.

Dr. Andy :

Kind of a wordy answer, but that is a difficult question to answer.

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to provide a feedback rating before leaving. I do greatly appreciate it.

Customer:

You have provided my with needed info. Now back to my original question. What is the dosing for a 90lb dog for any PPI as prophylactic for GI bleeding?

Customer:

Or H2 blocker

Dr. Andy :

one sec...

Dr. Andy :

I already sent to you dosing for both Pepcid and for the PPI. For me, the most popular is the omeprazole.

Dr. Andy :

Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.

Dr. Andy :

here it is again for the pepcid just in case you didn't get it:

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

With prophylactic treatment, and at 90 pounds, I am not so confident you have to give a full 0.5mg per pound. You could get away with 0.3mg per pound just fine for prophylactic use.

Dr. Andy :

Hope that helps.

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

Thank you. Have a great night.

Dr. Andy :

You bet. Good Luck!

Dr. Andy :

Your feedback rating will close the question for me. Thanks

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director