Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Yesterday we played fetch on a frozen pond, before I could

Yesterday we played fetch on a frozen pond, before I could get to her, my dog chewed down on a cattail (not foxtail) and a bunch of fly aways (seeds?) went around. Today she is sneezing now and then. Acting normal, but should I be concerned? I tried to look up her nose with a flashlight, but didn't see anything.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

I'll bet that was a sight to see--cat tail "poofs" everywhere! :)

Dr. Scarlett :

It is certainly possible that Willow has some irritation from the little fluffy things, even without them getting lodged in her sinuses.

Customer:

It was, but also, it didn't have the gone to seed look of a cattail. More like a frozen version of a cattail (we're in alaska)

Dr. Scarlett :

At this point, I would just monitor her and maybe give her some Benadryl as an antihistamine. How much does she weigh?

Customer:

She weighs about 45 lbs

Dr. Scarlett :

I would try giving her 50 mg (that would be 2 adult Benadryls) every 8 hours for the next couple of days and see if that helps. It might make her a little sleepy (but knowing young golden retrievers, it probably won't affect her at all!)

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. Scarlett :

I would start to get more concerned if the sneezing doesn't subside over the next few days, seems to be getting more frequent, or if she starts sneezing blood droplets.

Customer:

I did call our vet's office, and of course they said bring her right in so they could scope her nose.

Customer:

But it is not much sneezing and if I could avoid a Sunday urgent care emergency bill I

Customer:

love it!

Dr. Scarlett :

I think you can wait. If there is something stuck up there, the sneezing won

Dr. Scarlett :

darn enter key!!! If there is something stuck up there, the sneezing won't improve and there will start to be a discharge from the nose.

Customer:

Sounds good. Thank you for the piece of mind. I was feeling terrible for not rushing her off to the vets office. But also I know they have to play it safe.

Dr. Scarlett :

You're welcome. Hope Willow feels better soon!

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX flush her nose with saline?