Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog stared this morning with bloody watery diarrhea he is

not eating now and am...
my dog stared this morning with bloody watery diarrhea he is not eating now and am wondering if I can give him cephalexin
1/27/2013
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Hello, and thanks for writing in. Sorry this is going on with Willy.

There are various causes for bloody diarrhea, including an infection (viral, bacterial, parasitic), HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis), eating something he shouldn't have (digestible or not), a digestive organ disorder, colitis (inflamed colon), among others. Some of these conditions, such as HGE can progress quickly and dogs can go into shock. So, ideally Willy would be examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible to find the underlying cause, and for specific treatment (ER clinic, on-call veterinarian). If this is not possible, I would withhold all solid food for at least 12 hours. Water/Pedialyte is fine if there is no vomiting. After 12 hours (if the bloody diarrhea has stopped), you can offer small amounts of bland food, such as boiled hamburger and rice, or cooked chicken and rice (about 1/4 meat, and 3/4 rice). As far as giving Cephalexin...Cephalexin is not the best intestinal antibiotic, and can cause digestive upset (especially if given without food, since Willy is not eating). About 20mg/kg every 12 hours is a typical dose, but again, it may cause further digestive upset. There are much better antibiotics for intestinal problems that a veterinarian would prescribe, if appropriate.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can assist you and Willy further.

Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

How do I know when it gets worse?

Thanks for your reply.

The symptoms would persist, or his overall condition would worsen (more lethargic, less responsive, vomiting, breathing hard, diarrhea is pure blood, etc.)

Please let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Dave

what kind of medicine do you think he should take ?

I have been in contact with a vet but he has not replied :0(

if he only poops blood but not vomiting he hasn't for the last hour

what is a vet going to do to him if I take him?

I would rather give him the meds myself and hope he feels better soon

thank you for your help :0)

Without any tests, it's hard to say which medication(s) would be best. But, without tests, I would recommend Metronidazole, which is a good intestinal antibiotic/anti-inflammatory.

The veterinarian will likely do an exam, possibly run tests (stool tests, complete blood count, possibly a chemistry panel), and then treat specifically based on their findings (i.e. antibiotics, fluids, special food, intestinal protectant medications, etc.)

Let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Dave

I gave him a pill how long until I see if he gets better?

he looks sad now and I hope he will be ok

he doesn't want any food or water right now

If the medication you gave will work, it could take 1-2 days to take effect, sometimes sooner. There are many variables here (mentioned previously), so it's very difficult to give you a timeline. Please don't give any food (mentioned previously), as we want to rest the digestive tract for at least 12 hours.

I would withhold all solid food for at least 12 hours. Water/Pedialyte is fine if there is no vomiting. After 12 hours (if the bloody diarrhea has stopped), you can offer small amounts of bland food, such as boiled hamburger and rice, or cooked chicken and rice (about 1/4 meat, and 3/4 rice).

I hope everything goes well. If there is no improvement, an exam with a veterinarian would be warranted.

Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian