Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Yesterday while working on the house the 90 lb lab found his

way into the garage and...
Yesterday while working on the house the 90 lb lab found his way into the garage and found two 3.2% alcohol beers. We didn't find the cans until today but yesterday he just acted a little tired.

Today he has been fine just sleeping a little more. How much time does it take for the beer to be out of the system and we don't have to worry about him dieing.
1/18/2013
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Dog Veterinarian

Dr Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just answer. I will try to answer your questions. Did the dog consume both cans of beer?

Customer:

He did not consume both cans

Customer:

he punctured them there was some hay that he lays on and we believe a lot of it was soaked up because when we took it out it was wet and smelled of beer

Customer:

he is acting fine just we worry about him

Dr Gwen :

Okay, thank you for the added information. This happened last night, correct?

Customer:

correct

Customer:

he hasn't been out there for at least 24 hours

Dr Gwen :

Has he been eating and drinking normal today?

Customer:

fairly he has drank normally (not the alcohol) but has only ate a bit but he normally doesn't eat until night

Customer:

yesterday night he ate fine

Customer:

the last few weeks he has been eating less we are guessing because of the cold?

Dr Gwen :

Good news with all of this. Grant will be just fine despite consuming the beer. As you know, alcohol is bad for dogs and can make them ill. Based on his weight, the amount consumed, and the length of time passed, he should have processed all of it from his system.

Customer:

Wonderful he never gets it and apparently there were a two left out (the cans were destroyed from his chewing but the tops not open)

Customer:

We were just very worried about him

Dr Gwen :

It sounds like you love him very much! Tell him no more beer binging, and he will be just fine!
Good luck.

Customer:

Will do thank you for your help

Customer:

We were recently married and think of him as a son

Customer:

Is the fact he is eating less the last few months normal?

Customer:

sorry weeks

Dr Gwen :

It may be normal if he typically drops off his appetite in the winter. Some pets do when they are less active. But, it may also be a sign that he is not feeling well. I would recommend having your vet take a look at him in the next week to check his vitals and listen to his heart and lungs.

Dr Gwen :

Hopefully he is just a bit lethargic with the cooler weather, and has a normal physical exam.

Customer:

Great thank you so much you have no idea how much better we feel

Customer:

I am sure you get that all the time but he does mean a lot to us

Dr Gwen :

I have dogs as well - they are family members to me, too!

Customer:

Thank you so much It has been great talking to you tonight

Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Dog Veterinarian