Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog coughs and gags like theres something stuck in her throat

but shes eating and drinking...
My dog coughs and gags like theres something stuck in her throat but shes eating and drinking fine. could there be something stuck?
10/18/2012
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1)What breed is your dog?

2) How old is your dog?

3) When did this start?

4) Is it worse with activity or rest?

5) Worse in the morning or the evening?

-

she is a staffie

10 years old

started yesterday

worse with activity

If she is eating and drinking, and this is staying down, a blockage of sorts would not be expected.

Coughing can be caused by several causes with this age/breed including:

Kennel Cough
Viral tracheaitis
Pneumonia
Bronchitis
Heart enlargement
Infectious causes of acute bronchitis
Pulmonary hypertension

With that said, if the signs persist or worsen, I would consider a check-up with your veterinarian (especially if other dogs in the house develop similar signs).

They may recommend x-rays to make sure there is no evidence of pneumonia and also to listen to the heart and look at the heart on the x-rays with the lungs.

If there is a concern for infection, antibiotics will likely be prescribed.

For congestion, many owners find humidification helpful. This is achieved with a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower - this will allow humidification and help to moisten the airways for mucous breakdown and to improve congestion.

Cough medications can be considered as well - an example is Dextromethorphan (link here). Often before using cough medications, x-rays are used to make sure that there is not a primary or secondary pneumonia as cough medications slow down the treatment of pneumonia.

Please note - a Positive RATING is appreciated before you close the window,

Reply any time if more information is needed!

The rating Positive RATING (SMILEY FACE) (and bonus) is the way the professional receives credit for their time.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian