Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 1 year old english bulldog has a cloudy right eye. It has…

My 1 year old english...
My 1 year old english bulldog has a cloudy right eye. It has been oozing goo for a few days now. We've been using over the counter eye drops but doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?
10/9/2012
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Scarlett :

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more info about your dog's eye? Is he squinting? What color is the goo?

Customer:

He is trying to squint most of the time. He does have his eye open every so often. The goo is clear. He keeps pawing at his eye. At first I thought he may have hit it on something but since there is goo and the upper portion of his right eye is cloudy it's more troublesome to me.

Dr. Scarlett :

I suspect that your dog has a scratch or ulcer on his cornea. This is really painful and will cause swelling (edema) around the ulcer, making the cornea cloudy. Ulcers can easily become infected, which then causes the goo you are seeing. Sometimes that discharge will be a green or yellow color; clear may just be excessive tears because of the irritation and pain in the eye.

Dr. Scarlett :

Some dogs can develop ulcers from having an eyelash that is poking the cornea, but a dog rubbing the eye, dust flying in when the dog is running around outside, or a cat claw can all cause corneal scratches.

Dr. Scarlett :

Because ulcers can get very deep and have the potential to penetrate all the way through the cornea, you do need to have your dog seen by your regular vet tomorrow. Your vet will likely place a yellow/green dye in the eye--it will turn the ulcerated area green. If there is no ulcer, then your vet may check the eye pressure. Uveitis--inflammation of the inside of the eye, is another possibility for a cloudy eye. In any case, your dog needs prescription eye drops to get this cleared up.

Customer:

The breeder we got our dog from said to use over the counter medicated eye drops. We've been using Ketotifen Fumarate Ophthalmic Solution. Do you think this will work, or probably not?

Dr. Scarlett :

There aren't any antibiotics in those drops--it is just an antihistamine, and you aren't dealing with an allergic response. For general redness of the whites of the eye, those drops might be helpful, but not for something more serious, like an ulcer or uveitis.

Customer:

Ok. We will call the vet tomorrow. Thanks

Dr. Scarlett :

You're welcome! Hope your big guy feels better soon!

Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian