Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My son and his wife are expecting their first baby in November

2012. They have a...
My son and his wife are expecting their first baby in November 2012. They have a year old Airedale Terrier, who is quite large, and still mouths people. We know she does not mean to hurt us, but has very large canine teeth, and sometimes she does hurt. Our fear is that she will mouth the baby, and seriously hurt her/him. What can we do to break her of this habit of mouthing, also she still jumps up on people who come into contact with her, they are trying to stop that by giving ppl treats before entering the house and making her sit, sometimes it works and other times it does not, so again afraid she might try and jump on the baby. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2012
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

There are a lot of things to consider here with Lexi. It is good that you are all thinking about the new baby that is coming and trying to prepare for this ahead of time. I have a handout that I use in my practice that discusses the introduction of a new baby to household with pets. I am going to attach it here for you to download and read when your chat has ended.

Dr. K :

Click Here

Dr. K :

Click Here 2

Dr. K :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX the following handout discusses this problem...

Dr. K :

Click Here 3

Dr. K :

Even though some of these handouts may refer to "puppies", these behavior modification techniques can also be used on adult dogs as well.

Dr. K :

Here is information on how to handle jumping up issues:

Dr. K :

Click Here 4

Dr. K :

Keep in mind that helping Lexi to learn these new behaviors may be much easier with the help of a licensed dog trainer. You should look to get someone with the initials CPDT after their name, and make sure that they use only positive-reinforcement based training. No choke chains or prong collars, etc...

Dr. K :

I hope that this information is of help to you. If you have further questions concerning this matter, please just let me know as I would be happy to address them for you.

Dr. K :

If not, then please continue on to exit the chat and rate your experience with us today. You will still be able to ask me follow-up questions, even after the chat has ended and you have submitted a rating.

I am having problems printing the 4 attachments you sent me. Is there any way I can get back here later tonight when my husband gets home, so that he can fix the printer and I can print off the attchments???

Yes, you will be able to print them off later as well. This page will continue to be here.
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian