Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

12 year old female spayed Boston terriorst, no meds. Right

Customer Question
eye has been red in...
12 year old female spayed Boston terriorst, no meds. Right eye has been red in corneal area for long time, regular vet tested psi which was normal 2 mo tha ago. Came home today and that eye is cloudy and does not react to hand movement or light shine. Am at local vet ER clinic now. The 3rd grader vet her doesn't give me confidence she knows what to do. Plans to run stain test to check for scratch and psi test. Asked if I wound be interested in havi g an dog eye vet consult for $350.
I think I'd rather consult with my regular vet in the am but don't want to delay treatment if it risks permenant blindness.
My question is her eye was normal at noon and this developed in the 4 hours since I was gone so aren't the chances greater that this is an infection? But If she is suddenly blind now is that likely permenant anyway making the eye specialist a huge waste of money? Ie shouldn't any decent vet be able to diagnose this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog
9/1/2012
Dog Specialist: smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
smanimalvet
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there-

I am sorry to hear about Cleo's issues. This kind of thing always happens after hours and on weekends...always. Those pressure measurements bother me a lot, as done the speed with which this condition came up. It could be something as simple as a corneal scrape/ulcer or it could be something as serious as lens luxation or glaucoma.

This is what I tell my clients. No one knows eyes better than an ophthalmologist. If you want the best chance of restoring Cleo's vision, then a consult with the ye doctor is the way to go. If we can get those pressures down, then there is a chance that Cleo can see again. I would also want to make certain that there was no permanent damage to the retina or other part of the eye. The speed with which is came on really makes me concerned for acute glaucoma.

Decent vets, like ourselves, are general practitioners. We try our best to be great at everything but we use specialists as much as human doctors do...even though we hate to admit they know more than we do :)

I would consult with the eye doctor. see what is going on in that eye. 24 hours could make the difference between getting Cleo to see again or complete loss of vision. We could also get her out of any pain or discomfort that she might be in.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Dr. B

smanimalvet
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks, im taking Cleo to meet eye specialist in a few. Since stain test was negative for obvious corneal scrape what causes this sort of thing?

Well...honestly, glaucoma would be on the top of the list. Glaucoma is a build up of fluid in the eye which then leads to a build up of pressure and loss of vision. there are two ways that this can happen:

1. The eye starts to make too much fluid

2. Something blocks the fluid from leaving the eye: This one is most likely and could be due to a lens luxation, problems with the angles of the eyes, something wrong with the back of the eye, etc. which is why it is so important to have a specialist take a look.

Other causes of loss of vision include inflammation of the nerve that enters the eye, trauma to the eye, lens luxation, retinal detachment, high blood pressure, etc.

All of these things can be quickly ruled in or out by a veterinary eye doctor which is why I am so glad you decided to go. You obviously care a great deal about Cleo and hopefully everything is treatable and she will be back to 100% in no time!

Hi Ed,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cleo. How is everything going?

smanimalvet
smanimalvet
smanimalvet
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian