Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 10 year old beagle has had 4 nosebleeds since the end of…

My 10 year old beagle...
My 10 year old beagle has had 4 nosebleeds since the end of January 2012. She's been on antibiotics and steroids several times; she's had her nose "scoped" two times and the vets still don't know what is causing her nose to bleed. On Aug 12, we were on vacation in KY and had to take her to an emergency vet because of a urinary tract infection...needless to say, they put her back on antibiotics and she had just come off of steroids. This past Friday, she started having all kinds of trouble breathing. It's like her right nostril is completely stopped up...which is what the one vet found when he scoped her nose for the 2nd time back in June. He said he could "debulk" her nostril but that would require "open nose surgery"... Called her regular vet this past Saturday, they didn't want to see her but did give me another 3 week+ supply of prednisone, 5 mg; 1 pill every 12 hours for 2 weeks; then 1 pill every 24 hours for 1 week; then 1 pill every other day.

Am wondering if any of you have any experience with a dog having these symptoms. She's laying on the floor behind me right now, wide awake but sounds like she's snoring... Help if you can please!
8/28/2012
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
HI,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm very sorry to hear about Annie Mae's persistent nasal issues. I hate to sound down on this, but when I have a patient that has a history of nasal bleeds that have no other answer found (no clotting issues, no platelet deficiencies, no known trauma), then nasal cancer has to be very much suspect. When they scoped her nose, they may have not been able to go in deep enough to actually see the area of concern. This type of situation is one that would benefit diagnostically from a CT or MRI scan which can look at the soft tissues in her nasal sinus region. The fact that currently she can't breath through the one nose that has constantly been the source of the bleeding just is extremely concerning for cancer in it.

Thanks Dr Bruce. The 1st scope she had was at her regular vet's office but there scope wasn't "long" enough to look behind the soft pallet. The 2nd scope she had was at a critical care referral center in Knoxville, TN; they scoped both nasal passages and took biopsies which were sent away for inspection. When the results came back, there was no indication of cancer and the vet was surprised because he said he thought there should have been. Needless to say, I've spent over $3000 on my poor baby and she just doesn't seem to be getting any better. Would your recommendation be that I take her somewhere for a CT or MRI scan?

The surprise of the vet not finding cancer should be looked at now as a situation of what did the scoping just miss. Unfortunately with scoping of the nares, if you don't biopsy the area of concern / cancer - you miss the diagnosis. I would contact your vet about what availability there is for the CT or MRI scan. The tough thing to realize here is that if a tumor is found, is there something that can be effectively done for it.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian