Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

blood in my dogs urine. How bad is this? She seems to be in no pain.

There is blood in my...
There is blood in my dogs urine. How bad is this? She seems to be in no pain.
7/14/2012
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been a professional answering questions concerning dog health and behavioral issues here since 2006. I've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you. It will be my pleasure to work with you. If you need to reply to me, please use the continue conversation or reply to expert button and not the rating box. Rating should be given once you are satisfied with my answer.

A common cause for blood in a dog's urine is a Urinary tract infection though there are other reasons for blood in the urine.. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem.

It is also possible that bladder stones, or a prostate infection or a bleeding disorder may be the cause. Your Vet should check those possibilities out as well.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I do urge you to have your dog seen by a vet.

If she is not spayed, then you should check to be sure the blood is not coming from the vulva. If it is from the vulva then she is in heat.

Blood in the urine can be caused urinary stones, Cystitis, Kidney Disease, Bladder Cancer, or Urinary Bacterial Infections.

Urinary Stones are common and found in the kidneys, bladder and urethra though usually they are in the bladder. The formation of crystals or stones in urinary tract can be caused by the following factors usually working together: mineral crystals in the urine, bacteria, diseases, some medications, excess Vitamin C, imbalance in pH of urine. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination of small amounts and blood in the urine. Some breeds are known to have problems with stones. These are Miniature Schnauzer, Schnauzer, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Miniature poodle, and Yorkshire terrier.

Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.

Kidney Disease is a common cause of non-accidental death in dogs. It is not clear what causes kidney disease but it is believed that dehydration, blood loss, impaired heart function, tumors, infections and toxins contribute to it. Some medications for kidney disease may cause blood in the urine.

Bladder cancer occurs in middle-aged and older dogs. Bladder cancer is not as common as other causes such as Urinary tract infections, though it is not recognized early for that same reason. Typical symptoms are frequent urination, urinating small amounts, blood in the urine, and infections.

Urinary bacterial infections can occur in bladder (most common), kidneys, urethra, and prostate. They are easily treated once diagnosed. They are the major cause of the prostate disease in male dogs. The prostate becomes inhabited by bacterial and it becomes difficult to eliminate. Some other conditions such as diabetes, cancer and viral diseases affect a dog’s immune system and may contribute to this condition.

If it is in the urine, and she is able to urinate, it is not an emergency, but she should be soon as soon as you can get her in. If she becomes unable to urinate, that would require an emergency visit to the vet.

Hope this helps you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button.

I would appreciate you waiting until I have addressed your concerns before rating me. Please note that you are rating my help and not the site. IF you feel the need to rate me negatively, I hope you will reconsider and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT" or "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button so I can address any issues you still have. If I have helped you, please click on the highest rating possible so I am credited for my help. If you are having problems with the rating system, please respond and let me know so it can be taken care of.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

She passes a good amount of uirne and there isn't much blood. There is a string of red in it. I have to the UGODOG for her so i can have the chance to see this. She still drinks alots of water. So would it be okay to wait till Monday or Tuesday to get to the vet? Is it safe to leave her in the apartment alone?
Crazylady,

I'd try and get her in tomorrow if you can since stones can be painful. However, as I mentioned, it isn't an emergency unless she is unable to urinate. Some vets have Saturday morning hours and that might save you an ER visit if she does start to have problems urinating.
They are usally book solid on saturday
Crazylady,

In that case, just monitor her to be sure she is able to urinate each day.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?