Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  34 years in private practice, 2008 WA State Vet of the Year
13977145

8 year old male bichon started shaking and hiding on Thursday.

8 year old male bichon started shaking and hiding on Thursday. Appeared to be moving slowly,tail down. Vet did xrays of back and stomach, found nothing really. thinks he is presenting as back strain, like from jumping off of something. On meds twice a day, three days no real change, not moving much at all on own. Vet Says it could take couple of weeks for improvement. Do we seek second opinion?

Dr. Brian :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to help you.

Dr. Brian :

What medications is your dog taking now?

Customer:

methocarbamol 500 mg 1/4 tab every 8 hours and tramadol 50 mg 1/4 every 8 hours and carprofen 75 mg 1/2 every 24 hours

Dr. Brian :

I assume that he has no fever, is eating and drinking normally. Is he reluctant to jump up or down, or to use stairs?

Dr. Brian :

What does he weigh?

Customer:

vet says nofever, eats when put in front and drinking when you encourage him to get to it or bring it to him, yes, doesnt want to even try to jump up or down or stairs at all, just laying on couch, doesn't really lift head a lot

Customer:

He ways around 15 pounds

Customer:

weighs, sorry

Dr. Brian :

calculating doses.......

Dr. Brian :

Sorry for the delay

Customer:

that's fine

Dr. Brian :

Based on the breed, history, x-rays and behavior, I too would be thinking of disc disease. My concern is that he continues to have significant pain. There are some options available to you to discuss with your vet.

Dr. Brian :

First, be sure to continue to keep him very quiet and I prefer to have them spend most of the day in a dog crate. Try to avoid jumping and stairs for at least 3 weeks.

Customer:

so is the medicine a good option for him in the doses he is on,

Customer:

will he heal and how long do we wait before returning to vet, we heard nothing of disc disease it came on suddenly

Dr. Brian :

Second, he appears to need more pain control. You can discuss with your vet either increaseing the dose of the tramadol, and/or adding another pain medication to the mix. Don't you make any changes without consulting your vet as very bad interactions can occur with different pain control medications. I personally am not a fan of Rimadyl in back cases .....I love Rimadyl, just not in backs. I prefer a steroid for a few days, which you can't use in conjuntion with Rimadyl. In addition, you could explore acupuncture with a veterinary acupuncturist in your area - this can be great as another tool in pain control.

Customer:

we are not on rimadyl or do I have a med with another name for that

Dr. Brian :

How long is a very difficult question to answer in these cases because they are very variable. I would measure it in weeks. Further, as this disc stabilizes it will result in additional pressures being put on the next disc so these dogs can have a series of disc ruptures over time. "Once a bad back, always a bad back" is the phrase in people.

Dr. Brian :

Sorry, Rimadyl is the brand name of carprofen.

Customer:

do we encourage him to get up at all or just let him lay

Dr. Brian :

I would be seeing your vet again soon since your dog seems to still be quite painful. But with additional pain relief will be the necessity of keeping him quiet and confined.

Dr. Brian :

Here is a great article on disc disease for further reading: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dr. Brian :

Let him lay as much as possible.

Customer:

thank you I will call our vet in the morning

Dr. Brian :

Best wishes

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Brian