Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

My dog is shaking his head and yelps when I touch the base

My dog is shaking his head and yelps when I touch the base of his ears on the outside, which is swollen but not warm to the touch.

Theresa :

Sorry to hear your fella is not feeling well tonight.

Theresa :

Is there any discharge coming from the ear or when you look inside is it dirty, red, swollen?

Customer:

No discharge. Nothing that I can see in the ears. The swellings are on both ears at the base of the ear, the left side larger than the right, about the size of large jawbreaker.

Customer:

On the outside of the ear really just below where the ear joins the head.

Theresa :

Since he is shaking his head the most common cause is going to be an ear infection and this may be bilateral affecting both ears.

Theresa :

The other potential issue could be neck pain or a herniated disc but this is less likely since he is able to shake his head.

Customer:

Okay. I will take him to the vet tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Achmed. How is everything going?

Theresa