Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

what can i give my dog for a toothache until she sees the vet

what can i give my dog for a toothache until she sees the vet tomorrow?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Few options. I would say the aspirin is your best bet, but perhaps, I can change your dosing a bit (see below):

The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe.
You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is regular strength or maximum strength.
Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour before hand can be helpful.
Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***
Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***

Safest option is the aspirin, and I don't believe any other over-the-counter drug would be any more effective or safe.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click a “Happy/Excited Face” followed by “Submit”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to select a face and click submit.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a happy face and select “Submit”, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The baby aspirin 81 mg is not doing the trick. She is a 23 # XXXXX Terrier, and I'm an RN and certain it is her tooth. She is shaking her head, screeches several times daily in pain (this started yesterday afternoon), and was hiding under the bed last nite. At her last vet exam (3 weeks ago) they told me to keep an eye on this tooth. Any other suggestions? I would HATE to run to the ER, I'm hoping she can be made more comfy until tomorrow am. Would it be advantageous to call her vet and get an antibiotic?

Cindy

Well,
As you can see above, at 10mg per pound, her typical dose of aspirin would be about 230mg. Not surprised 81mg is doing nothing.

You could give up to 3 baby aspirins, with food, but can certainly try 2 to start.

An antibiotic might help, if that is the source. But, if there is a tooth root abscess, the tooth must come out. Treating infection will not work.

If you had something else you needed to throw out there for a question, go ahead.
Generally, answers are often a bit more brief dependent on the level of urgency and detail requested, which also affects the offer price for the question. But, I would be happen to address another basic question.
Fire away...