Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has an open sore on his hind leg that has progressively

Customer Question
got bigger. I thought...
My dog has an open sore on his hind leg that has progressively got bigger. I thought that it was a spider bite at first because the center of it was like a hole and it was oozing. Treated it with peroxide and antibiotic ointment. It has been about a month and the wound has changed and now is bigger in diameter but the center is not oozing. The outside of the wound is hard and my dog continuously licks it when I clean it. I'm wondering if it is a tumor. He does not limp on his leg or act like it bothers him except for the licking. It looks terrible to me like an open wound that will not heal. He is 16 yrs old, male boxer.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog
5/3/2012
Dog Specialist: CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

If this has been going on for a month, I would have your vet evaluate the area.

CriticalCareVet :

It may be a tumor, or may be a multi-drug resistant infection

CriticalCareVet :

A culture and biopsy can be considered.

CriticalCareVet :

It may need to be surgically debrided to remove the dead tissue as well

JACUSTOMER-nnw3ab9m- :

would antibiotics be helpful if it is an infection?

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - it would

JACUSTOMER-nnw3ab9m- :

Is there anything else I can do to help the wound?

CriticalCareVet :

This large - unlikely.

CriticalCareVet :

Best to get to your vet, especially since this is this long now...

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian