Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog was bit by a coyote about 1.5 hrs ago. The wound is

Customer Question
My dog was bit by...
My dog was bit by a coyote about 1.5 hrs ago. The wound is just a single tooth mark, it is no longer bleeding, he doesnt seem to be in any pain, it is on the back buttocks, I cleaned with warm water and peroxide, then gave him some Simplicef I had left from an ear infection. I would like to hold out until our Vet opens on Monday. Am I doing things correctly and what are signs I need to look for? Thank you! Katie
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog
4/29/2012
Dog Specialist: VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech replied 5 years ago
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Hi there!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with your question. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind answering them for me, so I can get a better idea of if you need to get your dog into the vet sooner, rather than later.

-Was it a prolonged fight, or did the coyote just get in one bite and run?
-Is your dog up-to-date on his rabies vaccinations?
The coyote just got one bite in the back of his leg (buttocks area) and my dog ran, I was unfortunately but fortunately able to see it take place, he is up to date on shots. It is 100.00 just to walk through the emergency animal hospital so if possible would like to do what I can at home. It is just a single puncture wound, looks like just 1 tooth mark.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Since it was one bite and your dog is up to date, you can probably wait until Monday to have your dog seen. Let them know it was a coyote bite, and you will want to request a repeat of the rabies booster, just to be on the safe side.

For now, you can clip the area with a pair of clippers (don't use scissors, or you risk cutting your dog's skin). Get around the wound by about two inches (you might need more if your dog has long fur). You will also want to clip any "feathers" short around the area so the hair isn't getting into the wound.

You are doing right with the peroxide. You will want to clean all of the area really well with an antibacterial soap, and then clean around the area with some hydrogen peroxide. Gently pat it dry when you are done.

Puncture wounds can very easily turn into abscesses, as they close up quickly and trap bacteria inside. You will want to keep an eye out for swelling, redness, heat, or oozing on and around the bite wound to ensure that it's not becoming infected or abscessed. If it does, you will want to get into the vet sooner than Monday.

Animal mouths are FULL of bacteria, so your vet will likely also want to prescribe an oral antibiotic for your dog to help prevent infection from happening.

If he starts to become sensitive in the area, is limping, or starts to show any signs of illness, you might want to consider getting him looked at by an ER vet.

If you have any follow-up questions or concerns, please hit "reply", and I would be glad to address them for you. Otherwise, good luck with your boy, and I hope this information was helpful!
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
VetTechErin
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech