Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a mini pin that has had fleas for the past month. We…

Customer Question
I have a mini pin...
I have a mini pin that has had fleas for the past month. We finally got him frontline and applied it last Thursday. The past few days he's been very sensitive to touch. He would squeal if you pet or touched him. Today he seems very weak. Will not jump on the couch. He is normally a very hyper active dog. Could this be a reaction to the application of frontline? Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog
4/11/2012
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 6 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Frontline is actually a chemical so it can cause reactions and normally you would see a reaction shortly after applying it and then you would want to wash it off immediately with dawn dish washing detergent. However since it has been a week later and these symptoms are showing up then it is not likely due to the frontline. This breed is prone to disc problems along the lower spine which can show limping, reluctance to play or jump , particular jump up on furniture, and there are several other symptoms that can show. I would give strict cage rest, outings in the yard for potty only and limit movement in all places, home car, etc. I would have your vet evaluate him so he/she can at least get some pain medication into the dog that you can continue to give at home.
Here is more on disc problems including causes/symptoms/ treatments
lower spine http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Picture of disc
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/anatomy/nervous.asp
I know its not that. We have never had any problems like that before. I am sure its the frontline. thanks anyway.
I will opt out and see if anyone else might have an idea. I wish you the best of luck with your baby.
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 6 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi Jacustomer-tt22irne~

Exactly how many days has it been since you applied the Frontline?

Was the Frontline purchased at your vet, or did you get it over the counter?

Is there any possibility of him hurting his back...could have been something as normal as jumping up on something?

If you press along his spine, does he seem more tender near where you applied the Frontline or elsewhere?